Occupy Movement Reaches CSUEB Campus

Police watch as the “Occupy CSUEB Tent City”
movement gathered in front of Agora stage.

CSU East Bay students held a protest on campus Wednesday organized by Students for Quality Education (SQE) to demonstrate discontent with current economic issues, amid administration disapproval and University Police Department (UPD) interference.

Dubbed “Occupy CSUEB Tent City,” 30 or so students along with several faculty members held an event to “strengthen the campus community, [display] solidarity with faculty and empower student voice.”

An administration communiqué released Wednesday morning referred to a policy made by Interim President Leroy Morishita under the authority granted by Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations that “camping on University property, including the erection of temporary or permanent shelters on University property  is prohibited without the written permission of the University.”

With 11 officers surrounding protesters at Agora Stage and about nine encircling the event from higher ground, the law enforcement presence was strongly felt.

After protesters erected a canopy, a UPD officer approached the protesters and ordered, “either you take the tents down or I’ll have my officers take it down for you.”

After much discourse among protesters, faculty members expressed their stance by sitting underneath the canopy.

An hour and a half after the UPD ultimatum, officers removed the canopy-like tent, at which time the protesters booed and chanted, “Whose University? Our University.”

After another hour as protesters appeared to attempt to erect more tents, UPD arrived again, yet protesters did not set up the tents.

Protesters documented every occurrence with UPD through video, and with rules expressed in posters stating for a “peaceful demonstration, no vandalism or violence, no alcohol and drugs, and [maintain] respect,” the event remained peaceful and free of violence.

Frank Quintana, CSUEB student and member of SQE, said the event was designed to “bring attention to the issues.”

Quintana mentioned the university lacks student involvement on prominent education issues, saying he hoped other students who viewed the event would ultimately take an active role in their education.

“I do think this event will create change,” said Quintana. “Students are the 99 percent and there has been a de-investment of education in the state.”

Many protesters like Quintana expressed their cohesion with the Occupy Movement and the California Faculty Association (CFA) strike occurring on campus Nov. 17, referencing the event as a day to protest for greater student involvement in issues directly affecting their future.

With both movements highly controversial throughout the country, and many Occupy movements being forced to end by city officials, the event on campus yesterday was representative of the new Occupy Colleges demonstrations currently and rapidly taking place.

Many student observers said they were confused as to what the protest was actually for, whether the CFA strike or Occupy Movement was the main issue.

Protest members expressed that in unanimity with both movements, they are expressing students’ needs to use their right to protest, especially on issues which may ultimately shape the course of education in California and the nation.

Protest members said they planned to carry on with the event late throughout Wednesday night, and are planning to erect tents later in the evening.