CSU East Bay Emeritus Professor Lectures on African American Influence in Politics

Bruce Glasrud’s new book “African Americans and the Road to the White House” served as material for the lecture that took place last Wednesday.

CSU East Bay Professor Emeritus of History Bruce Glasrud gave a lecture on the political history of African Americans in the Old Student Union on Wednesday, Feb. 23.

CSUEB Ethnic Studies professor and Chair Nicholas Baham introduced the speaker, giving a brief background on Glasrud’s many academic and scholarly accomplishments, including 16 books and over 60 articles. Baham also gave a short but informative historical breakdown of how February became National Black History Month.

Much of Glasrud’s lecture referenced his research and findings from his new book, “African Americans and the Road to the White House.”

Approximately 50 people attended the early afternoon lecture. Primarily professors were present, and only about a quarter of attendees were students.

Glasrud began his lecture going back to the year 1968, a time he feels was pivotal to African Americans’ political involvement. With the assassination of both civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. and Democratic presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy, Glasrud says the dynamic of American politics began to shift due to changes in voting, legal status and women in politics.

Glasrud spoke of several African American activists and political influences, including Charlene Mitchell, the first African American woman to run for president of the United States in 1968.

Although political participation from African Americans was not often heard of before the 1960s, Glasrud told the audience that African Americans have been fighting for their place in government and politics for over a hundred years. Glasrud gave the example of Alexander Twilight, the first African American man to earn a bachelor’s degree from an American University in 1821. Twilight was also the first African American to be elected into State Legislature in Vermont in 1863.

Despite the strong and valiant efforts from African American activists for over a century, Glasrud reminded the audience that presently the United States has had six African American senators, no African American vice presidents and only one president.

Even though this may be interpreted as limited success, Glasrud says that the discontent the African American community had with their lack of representation, along with the persistence and diligence of those he talked about and so many others, paved the way for Barack Obama to win the 2008 election.

Lastly, Glasrud discussed African American political figures of our present time, including Jesse Jackson, the Democratic candidate for the presidential nomination in 1984 and 1988, Colin Powell, the first African American Secretary of State, and the 44th president, Barack Obama.

Glasrud said he felt Obama won the 2008 election because he was the ideal candidate in more ways than one, and that the American people were ready for a change. Even though in the eyes of many President Obama hasn’t been perfect, Glasrud said that if Obama is re-elected, he can create a progressive legacy all Americans can be proud of.