AMZ_CSUEB

CSUEB Students Elected To State Student Government Position

(left to right) Jordan Leopold CSSA Lobby
Corps Officer, Jerry Chang CSSA Vice
President of Finance.

CSU East Bay students Jerry Chang and Jordan Leopold were elected by representatives from each CSU to serve one-year terms in the California State Student Association, a statewide student government organization that oversees more than 450,000 students from all 23 California State University campuses.

“The challenge of these roles is that they are statewide roles,” said Miles Nevin, executive director at CSSA. “These student leaders will need to pay attention to global higher education issues, not just local ones. They will also need to be able to represent all CSU students, not just Pioneers. This can be time consuming but also very productive and rewarding.”

Chang, former president of Associated Students Inc. during the 2012-2013 school year, was elected — running unopposed — as the state student association’s new vice president of finance in July. In his new role he will work with other members of an Executive Committee to review, research and make recommendations on the CSSA’s budget, policies, procedures and personnel matters.

Chang, now completing a master’s degree at the university, will also help CSSA develop and build their fundraising committee, while also developing a program funding policy that encourages financial sustainability.

Leopold, a junior, is currently director of legislative affairs for CSUEB’s student government association and was elected to his Lobby Corps position in June after running against Monica Kazan of CSU Pomona. In his new role Leopold will help organize meetings, trainings and forums that aim to educate student government associations at other CSUs.

As Lobby Corps officer, Leopold, along with the CSSA’s Legislative Affairs officer, will organize and improve communications between Lobby Corps across all CSUs.

“Being a part of CSSA means that you get to fully work towards and fight to improving California’s CSU system,” said Leopold. “It allows student leaders from each school’s ASI to collaborate and network with each other from all across the state. It’s a really fulfilling experience.”

Positions at CSSA are unpaid aside from the President’s scholarship, but travel to Sacramento and other CSUs are covered by CSSA.

The CSSA provides a variety of orientation and training activities for their officers so they are better able to connect with other university’s student associations said Nevin. One such training will take place this weekend at the CSUnity Student Leadership Conference at CSULA, he adds.

Leopold says he is currently looking for people to apply for his Lobby Corps Committee as soon as possible, and students who become a part of the committee will then be given the opportunity to develop leadership skills to confidently speak with state senators and assembly members.

“After their training, then we can start making visits to our local legislator’s office and trips to the Capitol Building to be heard and to make a difference in higher education,” said Leopold.

CSSA works with state legislators and lobbyists in Sacramento, takes on current issues affecting college students, and lobbies for legislation aimed to improve higher education. Student loan interest rates and online education are some of the key issues faced by the CSSA and CSUs this year. CSUEB and six other universities will not only have to deal with those issues but also the issue of converting to the semester system.

The CSSA sponsors a variety of legislations signed by the Governor, and students like these are involved in the process, adds Nevin. Assembly Bill 970 which requires the California State University Board of Trustees to consult with student associations before implementing future fee increases and Proposition 30, a temporary tax to help fund education are examples of such legislation.

“There’s a lot at stake this year so it’s critical that we make the best of the resources we have and ensure that future years will have access to those resources as necessary,” said Chang.

“I’m really excited to see what everyone has to offer this upcoming year,” said Leopold.