Mother Daughter Journey to Graduate in June

Britney Hill and Debra Long say attribute their
success to their professors.

Debra Long and Britney Hill not only share a mother daughter bond, but will also share the stage next month at Cal State East Bay’s 2013 graduation.

Long, a mother of four, says 35 years have passed since she graduated high school.

“Coming in, I didn’t know what to expect,” she said. “First, I didn’t want to wrap my mind around thinking I was going to have to deal with the crazy younger kids, but when I got here I realized these kids are focused and they know what they want to do.”

As an older student, Long said she needed a focused and mellow environment, which she found here at CSUEB.

“I like this campus quite a bit. The instructors are encouraging and helpful, it’s been a great experience,” said Long. “Walking around campus at my age, someone will walk by and say ‘Hey Ms. Debra, how you doing?’ It makes me feel like I am a mom who cares rather than I’m older and they’re younger.”

Long arrived at CSUEB in the fall quarter of 2011 and says she has never missed a quarter since she began.

“I figured at my age I better keep going because one day I may wake up and not feel like going. I went summers; I didn’t stop. I guess that’s why I finished a bit early,” she laughed.

Long’s daughter who transferred from Howard University a year ago agrees with her mom, saying her experience at CSUEB was phenomenal and that the professors were a key part of her journey to graduation.

“I really believe coming to East Bay has really expanded my writing,” said Hill. “At Howard University they didn’t have anything beyond English, but here at CSU East Bay there are classes like creative writing and other classes that challenge me more and more.”

Hill, who is also the third place winner of this year’s poetry contest, says she believes she has her creative writing teacher to thank for the honor.

“I thought I had writing down, but Susan Gubernat really had a style of teaching that taught me that it’s fine to write from your soul, but to not make the reader guess because it may take the reader away from reading the rest of the body of work,” said Hill.

Another attribute she appreciated from her professors was their patience and their ability to go the extra mile with students.

“Today we all complimented Professor Zoe who teaches language and grammar about how quickly he reviews our work and gets quizzes and tests back, and his response was, ‘It’s my job,” said Hill, adding that students like her really appreciate a response like that from a professor.

Hill’s mom agrees that timeliness from her professors did help set a pace and helped her push through.

“They’re able to understand where the young are coming from but they also understand where the older crowd is coming from because we are more experienced and when we participate in class it’s from experience,” said Long.

Her experience has taught her that there is no way to be successful without an education in a world where jobs are scarce and the economy is in turmoil.

“Part of this journey was to set this pattern for my kids, but not Britney because she has always been on top of it when it comes to education,” said Long. “I want my kids to see that I did it, and if I can do it then they definitely can too.”

Hill is setting a precedent of her own when she walks the stage as the only member of her father’s side of the family to receive a bachelor’s degree.

“We have a huge family and almost everyone on my mother’s side has gone to college, but this is really going to be a huge thing for me,” said Hill.

“You have to be the forerunner. Somebody has to set the pace,” Long chimed in.

Long, a sociology major with a social services option and a criminal justice minor, will be looking for a career in the future helping advocate for people in court who are uneducated on the court system and its terminology.

Until her dream job presents itself, Long says she will be attending grad school for a master’s degree in social work.

“At my age a lot of people are looking to retire. I’m looking to excel even more and retire,” said Long.

Hill on the other hand will be using her degree in English to enter into the world of teaching, said Debra.

“I have a child and really want to be around for her, so my masters will have to be put on hold for a little bit while I explore my options in teaching,” said Hill.

As the two embark on their next journey in life, their education will never stop and that inspiration will stand for future generations.