Lieutenant Hodges Appointed New Chief of CSUEB Police

Chief of Police James C. Hodges

Lieutenant James C. Hodges was promoted as CSU East Bay Chief of Police last week after the conclusion of a nation-wide search to fill the position.

Hodges previously served as Interim Police Chief for CSUEB for almost a year while the administration searched for a replacement.

“Chief Hodges brings the necessary experience, qualifications, and energy to provide the high level of leadership management, and supervision to the University Police Department,” said CSUEB Vice President for Administration & Finance Brad Wells in a press release last week.

A graduate of Tennyson High School in Hayward and lifetime local resident, Hodges brings 38 years of experience in law enforcement from the Alameda County Sheriff’s office where he worked in various positions, including patrolman, trainer, investigator, jailer and narcotics officer, among others.

“My goals for the University Police Department are to preserve and enhance the quality of the learning opportunities and life experiences of the students,” smiled Hodges, “By working in collaboration with all facets of the community to provide a safe and secure environment in which to live, learn and work.”

Chief Hodges, a former Vietnam helicopter pilot who was shot down twice, had already retired from a long career with the Alameda County Sheriff’s Department when he joined the CSUEB police department as a lieutenant in 2008.

“I was home and happily retired from my career in the sheriff’s department when somebody called me and said ‘They’re looking for a lieutenant at Cal State East Bay and we think you’d be a good fit,’ so I applied and it all just came together.”

When asked by The Pioneer how he would have handled the infamous Occupy Davis pepper spray incident, where a row of student protesters were pepper sprayed in the face by UC Davis police, Hodges was reluctant to second guess his fellow officers, but indicated he has respect for the student’s rights to free speech and expression.

He spoke from the wizened confidence of experience when he said, “the use of force is usually the last resort.”

“We use a lot of restraint here at East Bay,” assured Hodges. “As long as nobody’s life is in danger and there’s no injury or property damage going on, what is the hurry? Just let them sit.

“A University Police Department should be more of a comforting and supportive role rather than an aggressive one,” explained Hodges.

In 2005, he graduated from the FBI National Academy, a leadership-training course for police officers from around the world.

He later created the drug endangered children program and protocol for Alameda County, which rescues children from abusive and unhealthy living conditions.

The new chief said what he enjoys most about his job is the people.

“I could have easily started and ended a career here because this is my strength; working with people,” said Hodges. “I’ve always gotten along well with everyone, even violators of the law. I treat everybody with dignity and respect.”

He then proudly recalled how, while working at the Alameda County Prison, inmates he had personally arrested on the streets voiced their appreciation about his friendly and respectful treatment.

“Almost everyday a convict would come up and say ‘I remember you,’” reminisced Hodges. “‘I did wrong and you treated me fairly.’ [The convicts] never had any hard feelings, and I think that’s the way it should be.”

Hodges said his promotion as CSUEB’s Chief of Police will be the culmination of his long career in law enforcement and he plans to be in the position until his second retirement, a future date to be determined.

“My goal is to make it a model police department,” said Hodges. “I think a university police department should be part of the learning process. We should be teaching students, faculty, and staff about personal safety both on and off campus.”