CSUEB Unveils New Campus Dining Options

Campus survey results in the
renovation of CSUEB’s Bistro.

Taco Bell, Pizza Express and Wing Fiesta are scheduled to open on the CSU East Bay campus this fall quarter.

The university could not confirm when the three restaurants will be open for business, but have said that they will be located in the university’s Old Union where the Bistro currently stands.

“After Aramark completed the Starbucks, Einstein, Subway and Panda locations, we immediately saw that the Bistro location was underutilized,” said Martin Castillo, director of CSUEB’s housing and dining. “It was important to campus administration and Aramark that we ask students what they would like to see as the next food location on campus,” said Martin Castillo.

Aramark worked with the university’s student government and members of the Office of Student Affairs to conduct a student survey in fall 2012 regarding available food options on the CSUEB campus. The survey would determine whether certain brand concepts would work well with students, and also figure student preferences, and eating patterns.

Although the survey generated minimal responses, previous surveys have generated close to 3,000 responses, out of the estimated 13,000 students.

“I saw them lugging out some old equipment a couple weeks ago,” said CSUEB student Jordan Leopold, who participated in the student survey. “I didn’t pick any of the options they gave me, I just wrote in In & Out in the space they provided me.”

The project was funded by reserves built up by private funding from the University Union and is costing an estimated $850,000 to build, making these new eating venues part of one of the university’s major capital improvement projects.

“Taco Bell was the top choice on the survey. It was chosen for it’s lengthy menu and low prices,” said Castillo. “The fact that a student will have the option to quite a few items that are under $1 to $2 was an important price point that was taken into account.”

In addition to students requesting these venues, Castillo says there was a smaller, but very vocal, response from students requesting a vegan and vegetarian option.

“If you do a search regarding food allergies and healthy food options, you will find that this is a growing population.  It was important to us that in addition to the Taco Bell/Pizza Hut locations that we also offer a healthier option for the campus population,” he said.

This new healthier option will be Greens to Go, and will be available to the campus community during the winter quarter according to Castillo. Greens to Go will be located where Raging Burrito once resided.

“Although the location will be a little smaller, we are proud to be able to address this growing need,” Castillo said.