Implosion Brings Memories of Warren Hall

More than 1,000 people came to watch the
42-year-old building crumble into dust.

More than 1,000 people arrived at Hayward’s Kmart parking lot to witness Cal State East Bay’s Warren Hall crumble to the ground Saturday morning according to San Jose Mercury News. Some were brought to tears, while others celebrated the life of the iconic structure.

“I was astonished at the amount of people that were there,” said Richard Symmons, Emeritus professor at CSUEB since 1972. “It was the signature building on campus. I was tearful.”

The lot was full by 8 a.m. as more spectators arrived for the demolition party, a jammed packed event with loudspeakers blaring classic rock music as people filled their stomachs with pastries and drinks provided by the university. Some were tailgating the event while others simply watched and waited for the countdown recalling their memories of the iconic structure.

The 13-story structure opened in 1971 and was named after E. Guy Warren, a long-time Hayward resident and businessman who helped bring a university to the city of Hayward. Originally the university was established in 1957 and was to be located in Pleasanton as State College of Alameda County.

After efforts by E. Guy Warren and other Hayward sponsors the university was moved to Hayward in 1961 and renamed Alameda County State College. Since the move, the university has experienced several name changes.

After efforts by E. Guy Warren and other Hayward sponsors the university was moved to Hayward in 1961 and renamed Alameda County State College. Since the move, the university has experienced several name changes. In 1963 the name was changed to California State College of Hayward and was again changed in 1972 to California State University, Hayward after the school was granted university status. As of 2005, the university name was changed yet again to California State University, East Bay as part of an effort to increase enrollment as it serves more of the Bay Area population according to the university webpage.

For many who attended the demolition party, the implosion of Warren Hall signified a right of passage in the university name change from California State University, Hayward to California State University, East Bay.

“Warren Hall was always a symbol of Cal State Hayward and now with the demolition it seems like a transition into Cal State East Bay now. It seems like a natural progression. It will be missed but just like anything else progress has a cost. I think everything will be fine,” said Dennis McLellan, 53, a lifelong resident of Hayward and previous Chabot College student.

Warren Hall came down almost exactly as planned according to Jim Zavagno, the associate vice president for facilities at CSUEB. Currently there is still a large piece of the building leaning against the pile of debris.

“There seemed to be no problems. The building fell exactly like they [Fox news] said. It was just amazing,” said McLellan.

“It went off pretty close to the original time,” said Symmons referring to the 9 a.m. expected implosion time. “I was astonished at how much dust was created in the implosion.”

As the dust continued to rise, more people young and old said their tearful goodbyes.

Silverado Contractors, who have successfully completed more than 500 demolition projects across the Bay Area, will be clearing out the debris for the next month and a half according to Zavagno.

California State University officials who authorized $50 million to demolish and replaceWarren Hall, will later replace the structure with a new five story administration building fully equipped with office cubicles as well as a student service center and a welcome center. University President Leroy Morishita says he hopes to create a monument honoring E. Guy Warren in remembrance of the symbolic structure.