ASI Holds Town Hall to Update Students

CSU East Bay’s student body government, Associated Students Inc., held their first town hall meeting of the year last week to directly update students and receive input on the future plans of ASI.

The town hall meeting was held last Wednesday in the CSUEB New University Union multipurpose room, where ASI board members took to the podium to update students on this academic year’s accomplishments, as well as goals for the upcoming school year.

Vice President of Finance, Eric Pinlac, spoke about ASI’s financial accomplishments and informed students of ASI’s current budget and future objectives.

“The finance committee is more of an internal kind of committee, where club funding as well as finances of the corporation and budgeting are decided on,” said Pinlac. “The process is usually not seen by students, but they definitely feel the impacts of it.”

Pinlac informed students of the finance committee’s more recent efforts to update ASI’s club funding policy to now include the integration of club sports.

“In the past, club sports was always confused as to whether they were financed under the university umbrella or under ASI’s umbrella,” said Pinlac “But last year they finally established that it’s going to be a club just like any other organization.”

The clubs that now receive ASI funding include Taekwondo Club, the Bread and Butter Skateboarding Club, Martial Arts Club, and all other recreational organizations recognized on campus.

“Since organizations like club sports typically require more funding, the hope is to create a streamlined process in such a way that raises the quality of service without raising fees,” he added.

Currently, clubs can apply for up to $1,000 in funding for the winter quarter and $1,500 in the fall and spring quarters. As for the summer quarter, since most of ASI board members are not on campus and there are not many students, there is currently not enough funding for the summer quarter.

Pinlac said depending on the amount of funding each recreational club is approved for, the finance committee will now provide clubs with a coach to help students hone in on their athletic talents.

“One of the bigger projects this year seeks to establish grant writing or fundraising of the corporation within each committee,” said Pinlac.

Because ASI was proccupied with the budget and club funding, the grant writing and fundraising projects were put on hold.

ASI’s budget, which was first discussed with members of ASI’s Executive Committee and is now being reviewed by administrators and an accountant, is based on the budget of the previous ASI board.

“I know it’s very conservative, but we have to play conservative because we’d rather have extra money at the end of the year, than not enough money,” said Pinlac. “Because numbers were conservative, last year, we had an extra $60,000 of unallocated money that we decided to use towards hiring professional staff as well as funding for other projects within ASI.”

Pinlac added that this year’s board aims to integrate those extra funds into the budget for next year so that next year’s budget will be more balanced.

“Fortunately we’ve been able to discuss some of the things we want to do with some of the professional staff that will be here next year. Hopefully they can put our ideas into the minds of the board next year,” said Pinlac.

After ASI members concluded their presentation, the town hall meeting was then opened to students and all in attendance to voice their comments and concerns, most of which were requesting free events on campus in the future as well as free food and activities.

Responses from the board members were minimal but they informed students, in order to make these free events and activities possible, students would have to increase their participation in student government.

“We’re really trying to get students to join committees and just be involved so they can see where their money is going,” said Chang. “The main goal is for ASI to engage the university and its departments to foster cooperation among the entire campus community, and events like town hall meetings provide opportunities for students, faculty, as well as the administration to come together.”

Director of Student Life and Leadership, Marguerite Hinrichs, attended the event with Executive Director of ASI, Randy Saffold. Hinrichs says that from the data shown at the town hall meeting, it was clear that students are a little more aware of who ASI is and what they do on campus.

She believes this is due to the board’s good communication as well as the marketing teams within ASI.

“If you look at yourself as the reason for the change instead of the organization as a whole, then you may run into some leadership issues,” said Hinrichs. “This year’s ASI board has done a great job of trying to work with clubs and organizations to assist them with getting funding.”

Every year, every ASI board of directors has an opportunity to interpret ASI policies and implement them in the ways they see fit, but Hinrichs says that with any leadership position, the main leader’s perspective really matters.

“Because the board members change every year, it is really important for them to rely on the leadership of the previous year and not try to change the movement of the board too drastically unless it’s very necessary,” said Hinrichs. “Even looking at prior minutes is very important.”

She adds that it’s an opportunity for people like her, Saffold, and Vice President of Student Affairs, Stan Hebert, to provide continuity through all aspects of ASI.

“Eric has been very open to change and new ideas, and has tried to work with students,” said Hinrichs. “Leadership like that along with the understanding that there must also be continuity, is what makes an ASI board’s plans and ideas really prosper.”

The meeting concluded with free Subway sandwiches and refreshments. The ASI board hopes to conduct one more town hall meeting before the end of the winter quarter.