AMZ_CSUEB

Police Chief James Hodges Steps Down and Steps Up

Former CSUEB police chief, James
Hodges, returns to campus in a
new capacity.

CSU East Bay’s Police Chief James Hodges stepped down from his position on Oct. 1 due to an extended family medical leave, after being promoted from lieutenant  this past February.

“Jim has been an important member of the campus community,” said CSUEB vice president for Administration Finance Brad Wells in a press release.

After having been in Southern California with his family for most of the fall quarter, Hodges has returned to the university and has agreed to serve as Emergency Operations Center Coordinator (EOC). As an EOC, Hodges is in charge of conducting and supervising emergency drills on campus, as well as developing and updating the university’s Emergency Operations Plan (EOP).

“I really liked the campus a lot and wanted to continue to connect with it upon my return. I hoped to come back in a different capacity that allowed me to handle my personal situations also,” said Hodges.

Although he is taking a pay cut, Hodges says the money is not the important part.

“I want to care for my wife, and deal with some personal family matters,” said Hodges. “Plus, there was a strong need for this EOP position, and since it’s a mandated position on all campuses, it had to be filled as soon as possible. So that’s what I’m doing now.”

Wells, who will now serve as Hodges’ supervisor, says he’s grateful that Hodges will continue in his new role at CSUEB.

“He’ll really be helping us to implement our emergency operations plan and more fully engage the campus in this important effort,” said Wells.

As the university wraps up the interview process to fill Hodges’ position, they have welcomed newly retired Police Chief Stan Skipworth to serve as the interim chief. Skipworth was previously a sergeant for nine years at CSU Fullerton Police Department after recently stepping down as interim chief at CSU Long Beach.

Skipworth’s temporary position has allowed him time to tour the campus and meet students, staff and faculty both at the Concord and Hayward campuses.

“I’m very pleased with the university. There are a lot of terrific people,” said Skipworth. “Being chief at a university is very different. It’s about committing and being fully accessible. You have to remain very strong and have a clear understanding of what students and faculty want and you have to make sure that it is a safe campus that all students have an opportunity to learn and to enhance their skills.”

Skipworth says, CSUEB is a large campus, which means it can get busy at times. He added the new permanent police chief needs to make some “real relations” with people.

“Chiefs who work at building strong, solid relationships with the people they interact with, in my opinion, are much better at their jobs because they develop that camaraderie,” said Skipworth.

As the search for the new police chief comes to a close this week, another position that needs filling is that of a lieutenant, and former Sgt. Bruce Edwards has agreed to serve as interim lieutenant through Dec. 31.

Part of the new police chief’s role will be to choose his new lieutenant as well, says Edwards.