Mr. and Ms. CSUEB Still Waiting for Responsibilities

Sophomore Benny Avalos (left) and Senior Monserrat Rueda-Hernandez (right) take advantage of this year’s campus leadership scholarship.

In an economy where higher education has become a primary recipient of budget cuts, it seems only fitting that students be even more aware of opportunities where they can be recognized for their academic achievements, and find resources to offset the fluctuating costs of their higher education.

CSU East Bay students Benny Avalos and Monserrat Rueda-Hernandez, who were awarded the titles of Mr. and Ms. CSUEB this year, have done just that, as the recipients of this year’s Associated Student Inc. (ASI) $2,349 Campus Leader Scholarship award.

“We’re two people students can relate to,” said Rueda-Hernandez, a current senior majoring in Liberal Studies. “When it comes to being involved with the university, it’s about self-exploration and finding your niche.”

Recipients for Mr. and Ms. CSUEB 2012-2013 were chosen through an ASI sub-committee, who chose the students they felt best demonstrated academic achievement and exemplary leadership in student initiatives, clubs, organizations, athletics, committees and the like on campus.

Mr. and Ms. CSUEB will essentially serve as the liaisons between ASI and the student body to effectively communicate what students want from their student government.

As spring quarter 2011 was just ending for Rueda-Hernandez and Avalos, both were worried their hard work and commitment to leadership roles would go unrecognized by CSUEB’s ASI board.

“I had already started planning for getting it the next school year,” said Avalos, now in his sophomore year majoring in Liberal Studies.

It wasn’t until two weeks before the fall quarter began that the two heard the news. Through a majority vote from the ASI sub-committee, Rueda-Hernandez and Avalos not only received student leadership titles, they also received the $2,349 scholarship, which was credited to their student accounts for the fall quarter.

“I was shocked and happy. Like wow, I really did this,” said Rueda-Hernandez. “It’s a testimony to all the work you’ve put into school.”

According to ASI Executive Director, Randy Saffold, Hernandez and Avalos now serve as ambassadors of the university and could be asked to lead and or speak at university events, inspire students during board initiatives, and be the face of the university. The two will essentially communicate student needs to ASI, added Saffold.

“It’s the biggest recognition for any student leader. It’s a reflective kind of moment of time,” said Rueda-Hernandez.

Although the ASI board of directors only recently finished prioritizing the annual projects they plan to accomplish in the winter and spring quarter, Rueda-Hernandez and Avalos say they have already been involved in so many of the university’s programs.

As a member of the Orientation Team, Avalos says, “When visitors come, I escort them around and communicate the effectiveness of school programs from a student perspective,” said Avalos, who helped with this year’s Welcome Day event.

According to Saffold, leadership roles for Mr. and Ms. CSUEB cannot be given to Rueda-Hernandez and Avalos until after the ASI board finishes determining the kinds of events they want to tackle, as well as determine student eligibility, which would be within the next week.

“With every Board there is always a lag between the time they start and the time they are able to coordinate their annual events and activities,” said Saffold.  “This is a lengthy process and also requires committee applicants to have eligibility checks, which can slow down committee formation if the interested students are not actually eligible for the committees they have chosen to apply for.”

Although Rueda-Hernandez and Avalos will have to wait a bit longer to learn of their roles in upcoming ASI events, both express a willingness to take on the roles, with the hopes that the rest of the student body can see what can happen when they get involved in their university.