USF_MA_U_P

CSUEB Students Celebrate Eid al-Adha

Students enjoyed traditional Middle Eastern cuisine
as they celebrated Eid al-Adha.

CSU East Bay’s Afghan and Muslim Student Associations worked together this year to plan and celebrate Eid al-Adha, a major Islamic holiday remembering the day Abraham was willing to sacrifice his only son Ishmael.

“This is an important celebration, celebrated with family and the community in Islam, it brings happiness and is a great event […] I want people to embrace the religion and strive to understand what Islam is,” said Afghan Student Association president, Shuaib Amiri. “The holiday is like the Muslim world’s version of a combination of Thanksgiving and Christmas, when individuals share one third of their meat for family, one third to friends, and the last third to the poor. Eid is a time of a lot of charity when all people are said to be fed.”

Amiri started off the night with a lesson to the crowd about the history and importance of Eid al-adha, also known as Feast of the Sacrifice.

According to Amiri, the Old Testament also tells a strikingly similar story about Abraham, but here instead it is his son Isaac, the Jewish patriarch, who Abraham is willing to sacrifice. But it’s Abraham’s actions that are important and are being celebrated, rather than the son’s name.

To those without Muslim, Jewish, or Christian religious beliefs the story of Eid al-Adha may appear extreme or violent.

“We want people to understand why Muslims celebrate this holiday, why sacrifice an animal,” said Amir.

Most people at the event were Muslim; however, non-Muslims were present and participated in the festivities. There was also a time for prayer, music and dancing.

“It’s cool how they do their own thing and how they see God and express it,” said CSUEB student Michelle Phan, who enjoyed the food, activities and henna painting.

“I would like people to learn all about other religions, not just Islam, and gain knowledge. Don’t limit yourself. Learn many new things, food, people, games, and just meet people you never met before.”

The celebration of Eid al-Adha at CSUEB was a time to learn new forms of art, history, concepts, food and to meet other students with varying backgrounds, as well as a time for students to enjoy the time they spend with the rest of the campus community.