CSUEB New Shuttle System Expands Hours, Distance

CSU East Bay students can now see the new and
improved shuttles on campus.

CSU East Bay has increased their shuttle capacity from a 30 passenger shuttle to a 40 passenger coach bus, and has also extended their shuttle’s operating hours by five hours, to help reduce the demand for their 4,650 limited parking spaces.

“We have seen a need over the past two years to increase service to campus,” said Mark Almeida, associate director of housing, dining, parking, and transportation. “Last year, we applied and received a grant from the Alameda County Transportation Commission to build a Transportation Demand Management Plan.”

According to Almeida, the Alameda County Transportation Commission applies for federal grant funding, which allows CSUEB to apply for regional grants. Through the CSUEB’s Transportation Demand Management Plan, the 40 passenger coach bus has been added to the shuttle system.

“Lately I’ve been catching BART because of gas, so I catch the shuttle right after,” said Khala Finley, a CSUEB student. “I definitely think it’s good use of what the school has to spend because people can’t afford parking passes. This just gives you an alternative, and for students that don’t have a car, it helps a lot.”

Recently, CSUEB also received a second grant, which runs for a two year period, is being used to increase the shuttle’s hours of operation from seven hours per day to 12 hours per day, according to Almeida. During off peak hours, there is one shuttle in service, while peak hours now operate with two shuttles.

According to CSUEB’s Alternative Mode and Parking Planning Study in 2011, 2,387 people boarded the shuttle during the month of October. The study also included that during the peak hours of operation, and on almost every run, there weren’t enough seats on the shuttle for all potential riders at the Hayward Bart station or on campus.

“Every time I’d come, I’d leave behind around four to 20 students,” said a CSUEB shuttle driver.

“Before, you couldn’t rely on them, but now they’re on time,” said Finley. “For instance, if it was a test day, you’d have to make sure you were there really early because you wouldn’t know if the shuttle was on time.”

To monitor the effects of these new changes to the shuttle system, CSUEB will be conducting quarterly surveys to check the system’s performance and demand.