USF_MA_U_P

Going Textbook-Free

The ASI Textbook Free Committee is assigned to replace a percentage of textbooks with online digital textbooks within a five-year plan starting Fall Quarter 2011.

Cal State East Bay President Dr. Mohammad Qayoumi came up with the initial idea to make alternative course material choices to help the campus community save the environment and some money.

“I haven’t quite exactly discussed how it will work but it is an option,” said Dr. Qayoumi.

“The cost of textbooks is ridiculous,” said CSUEB student Thanh Ly. “They overcharge for new editions that don’t have new information, just chapters changed around. I’m glad that they plan to give students another alternative. With digital textbooks, you can keep them forever and stack in your personal file.”

Online digital textbooks are said to be the alternative for store-bought textbooks. Purchasing digital textbooks online will be the cheaper option for students.

“Surprisingly, the idea doesn’t require funding,” said Brady Landry, a member of the ASI textbook committee. “It actually saves money.”

Landry makes a point of saying that most students probably don’t read their textbooks again after passing a course, so spending a lot of money on textbooks doesn’t make much sense.

“I don’t want to see a textbook, big or small,” added Landry. “Heavy textbooks wear and tear into your back.”

Textbook prices on campus have become a large financial problem in recent history for students, so digital textbooks may be a decent solution.

“I’m a student here, as well as an employee, and I don’t even buy books from the store because they’re entirely too expensive,” says Justin Espenza, a Pioneer Bookstore employee. “The bookstore makes it hard to sell your books because they always order new editions.”

The alternative not only saves money, it happens to be eco-friendly as well.

The Director of Environmental Affairs, Heather Harbeck, claims that the digital textbooks help lessen our carbon footprint by eliminating excessive paper usage.

“Textbooks and paper usage goes against ASI’s sustainability on campus,” said Harbeck. “This digital format makes it easier to be organized, and save paper. Just imagine how much paper we use a day on campus?”

Although the new alternative may excite students, staff may not enjoy it as much.

John Hahn, one of CSUEB’s Spanish professors, claims that it will be difficult having to use the internet to read the text and teach his classes.

The University Bookstore will still have books available, but students and staff will also have the new option of online textbooks as well.