AMZ_CSUEB

CSUEB Recognized 70th Anniversary of Bataan Death March

Among the speakers was civilian
ex-prisoner of war John Ream.

With the American flag hanging from one side of the stage and the Philippine flag on the other, the CSU East Bay theatre honored a significant event in World War II history during the afternoon of April 10. 

Organized by Theatre professor Ann Fajilan and Cecilia Gaerlan of Artis Mundi in conjunction with the Pilipino American Student Association (PASA), a two-hour commemoration was held to acknowledge the 70th anniversary of the fall of Bataan.

An open event to faculty and students along with the general public, the theatre was filled with students, veterans and survivors alike, taking the time to learn and remember the largest surrender in American military history. 

On April 9, 1942, four months following the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor, the American and Filipino troops surrendered the Bataan peninsula to the Japanese invaders. 

At the time of the surrender, they were living off of a quarter rations of four ounces of rice and less than two ounces of fish.  Nearly 500 men were treated for malaria on a daily basis and within the previous two months, Singapore followed by Indonesia fell.

As a result of their surrender, mostly ill and withered American and Filipino soldiers were forced to participate in what’s now known as the Bataan Death March. 

They were forced to walk 60 miles to the prison camps in severe tropical weather with hardly any food, water or medicine to sustain them.  About 800 American soldiers died along the way along with about 10,000 to 15,000 Filipino soldiers.

While it’s not well recognized as an important event for the U.S. from World War II, it was made very evident early on during the commemoration at just how significant it was and how it shouldn’t be forgotten.

A multitude of Bataan veterans attended the
commemoration.

Letters from U.S. Reps. Jackie Speier, Michael Honda and Pete Stark were read, apologizing for their absences and extending their salutes to the veterans.

Honda’s letter emphasized how the sacrifice made by the American and Filipino soldiers caused the delay of the “momentum of the Japanese invasion” and the prevention of the complete takeover of the Pacific by Axis forces, thus protecting numerous lives in the process.

Speier’s letter focused on the union formed between the United States and the Philippines during that time and, as a result, has that to fall back on when it came to making it through the Bataan Death March.

“When Filipino and American veteran remember Bataan, not only do they remember the devastation of a war, or the painful memories of loved ones lost or killed at war.  They shall also remember the friendship of two countries and the bravery of their soldiers,” her letter read. 

“Let us never forget the sacrifices of our heroes.  Salamat!” thanked Speier.

The 70th anniversary of the fall of Bataan was commemorated in many ways. 

Statements from Major General Edward King, General Jonathan Wainwright and the broadcast from Corregidor from the Voice of Freedom were read aloud. 

A preview of “Forgotten Soldiers,” a documentary focusing on the U.S. armies and Philippine Scouts that fought in World War II, was screened. 

Historian Robert Capistrano from the Philippine Scouts Heritage Society made a presentation that explained the significance of items on display on the edge of the stage, such as army uniforms, badges and medals and photographs.

Many other attendees also spoke about their
experiences.

Some of the theatre students made their contributions to the occasion as well, such as Teresita Brown and PASA President Romar Lamano performing a scene from Gaerlan’s novel “In Her Mother’s Image” and Marie Ibarra singing “God Bless America” and “Pilipinas Kong Mahal” — Tagalog for “My Beloved Philippines” — as a tribute to the U.S. and the Philippines.

Veterans of both the U.S. Army and the Philippine Scouts were acknowledged for their heroism and half of the Q-and-A session was spent with audience members taking the time to thank them personally.

Towards the end of the Q-and-A session, one audience member made the point of asking David Tejada, 12th Signal Co., based on her observations on what was it about the performance from “In Her Mother’s Image” that he reacted so strongly to. 

His answer was that it reminded him of encouraging his fellow soldiers to keep going when on the Bataan Death March, in a matter of “keep[ing] up our own spirits.”