Cultural graduation rates and events at CSUEB

Bryan Cordova,
Managing Editor

It’s graduation season again, as California State University, East Bay prepares for the undergraduate commencement ceremony on June 13.

Any student who has met eligibility to graduate may participate. The undergraduate ceremony starts at 5:30 p.m., but participating students are required to arrive by 4:30 p.m. at the soccer field off Carlos Bee Boulevard. According to the CSUEB website, due to the large number of graduates, guests will require a ticket to attend commencement. Each student will receive five tickets for their guests to attend that they can pick up from the bookstore.

During the commencement, guests fill the bleachers of the stadium and watch as students are called to step forward and receive a general piece of paper as filler until their diplomas are sent in the mail.

A few committees have formed their own ceremonies that cater to students who wish to celebrate their diversity during commencement. The different graduations include: Chicano/Latino, Black, Lavender for the LGBTQIA community, and Asian Pacific Islander.

The Black graduation ceremony will take place June 11 at 7 p.m. in the Pioneer Gymnasium. The registration fee is now $75 and will increase to $85 on May 11. According to the application, the fee includes the cost of a Kente sash, a graduation certificate, a class photo, ceremony programs and food. Students can submit for an Outstanding Personal Achievement award by submitting a one to two page essay on why they deserve the award by May 29.

The Chicano/Latino graduation celebration will be June 10 on Meiklejohn Lawn. The price is $40 to $80, depending on when the tickets are purchased, and also includes a sash, graduate photos, and dinner.

Each participant is allowed to bring up to seven guests for the ceremony. The packet and payment were due on May 1.

Any graduates that are participating in commencement may pick up their tickets from the bookstore. According to University Events, the commencement itself is at no cost to students.

The combined undergraduate commencement occurred 2 years ago. Before that, different commencements occurred for different departments throughout a three-day period.

According to Director of University Events Richard Watters there were a number of reasons for the switch.

“The main reason being that the University could celebrate all undergraduate student’s achievements as one community,” said Watters. He added that the switch did save the University some expenditures, and that commencement is paid for by the general funds.