Greek adviser leaves for UC Berkeley advising job

Photo | Bryan Cordova

Megan Lebre at her farewell event.

Bryan Cordova,
Metro Editor

After two years of advising the Greek community, Megan Lebre is leaving California State University, East Bay. She is moving to advise students at University of California, Berkeley for the department of microbiology and cellular development.

Lebre came to CSUEB two years ago, then as Megan Bebb, with a goal to help bring more community to the Greek organizations on campus. Her last day was October 21.

During her time she helped restructure the Greek organizations, dedicating time to meeting with all the presidents one on one during her first year. She influenced organizations to work together and bring new events as building blocks for future years.

“The policies here were great, but students that were in office felt very disjointed; they did not have an understanding of each other,” said Lebre.

One of the new structures she brought was the expansion process for organizations to start chapters here. With the new procedure, the university now has an established chapter of Lambda Theta Nu Latin sorority.

As well, two new interests groups, the interested ladies of Lambda Theta Alpha sorority and Zeta Omega, are looking to become established chapters at the university.

Along with new policies, she worked with Student Life and Leadership to create new programs, including “Intro to Greek Life” for incoming students during orientation. The Greek workshop increased the amount of participants in the 2014 Fall Rush Week.

Most organizations give out bids, or a formal invitation, to people who attend rush, and if they accept they move on to the organizations individual process of becoming members.

One of the biggest increases in bids being given out was with Panhellenic, the joint rushing committee of multiple national sororities in the United States. PanHellenic at CSUEB consists of two national sororities, Sigma Sigma Sigma and Alpha Phi. This year, Panhellenic gave out about 80 bids, compared to 58 last year.

“I really think the Greek workshop helped get more students interested in the community, and get them excited to participate and join,” she explained.

Megan is an alumnus of Delta Gamma, another national sorority that is a part of Panhellenic, so advising them was very familiar to her.

The Greek Council of East Bay was made up of only eight Greek chapters a few years ago.

Along with a redesigned election process for the board and changes made to the council constitution, there are now 13 chapters and interest groups that are a part of it thanks to Lebre’s advising and approach toward Greek life on campus.