Hundreds of Students Turn Up For Indie Music

As Vic Mensa performs his last song, he gives CSUEB
an up close and personal performance by jumping
into the crowd.

CSU East Bay students got pumped for the annual Charged Indie Music Festival last Thursday in the New Union, presented by Associated Students, Inc.

A lengthy line of students and guests stood in line anxiously to see what they had in store for them as they waited to check-in and get their wrist bands for the event that was open to the public.

Guests were packed in a single file line to gain entry to the event. They were served a variety of food options: from gourmet sandwiches to flavored chicken, to hors d’oeuvres and soft brownies and cookies for dessert.

Attendees formed long lines to get a henna tattoo of their choice, as a complementary service for attending the event.

Con Bro Chill’s set included multiple costume
changes and waffles that were thrown into the crowd.

Independent artists such as headliner Vic Mensa, Con Bro Chill, Parade of Lights, Oh My Heart, DLRN and Lungs and Limbs all performed their songs for more than a hundred viewers.

The artist Vic Mensa claims he has been rapping since “most people’s baby momma’s been buying diapers.” He considers DJ Rush, Soulja Boy, D-Lo, and LCD Soundsystem as his influences.

He portrayed a very laid-back attitude backstage, but told students to “keep ya head up,” in reference to early 90’s rap sensation Tupac Shakur.

Guests were put in a good mood by the dark room atmosphere dotted with dim colorful spotlights and live music. They danced with family and friends and sang along to the songs.

Lois Williams, a former sophomore, attended the concert as a way to reconnect with her past experiences at CSUEB.

“I drove up from Los Angeles to spend time with friends and to go to the free concert so that I could reminisce about campus life and activities since I’m no longer in school,” said Williams.

“It was great to be back on campus and engage in student activities even if only for a little while,” said Williams.

Khalil Fortenberry, a freshman, stated one of the highlights of the event was the band Con Bro Chill. Fortenberry said he enjoyed the different style of music, the outfits and the overall uniqueness of the group.

“Even though Con Bro Chill was really unique and interesting, my favorite artist was Vic Mensa,” said Fortenberry. “Even though I’m open to listening to all kinds of music, rap is still my favorite.”

The festival was ASI’s 4th event so far this quarter. Kristi Stewart, events supervisor, says the event was a success.

Filmed by Chelsea Mudlo, Edited by Jessica Ramirez

“I think everyone was pleasantly surprised at how many students came, there was like 400 students at that event, and I think this proves to the powers that be that this is something that students want, it’s an experience that they like to have,” said Stewart.

If the concert was not a success, there were worries that there would be fewer concerts in the future, Stewart said, but due to the success of the concert it has not been an issue.

“It’s true in the sense of when you plan an event and you spend a lot of money and no one shows up it says to the campus we don’t like this or we didn’t want this,” said Stewart.

“So because we work off of student fees, we’re spending the students money, so it looks as if we are not spending the money giving them things they want when they don’t participate in the events planned,” she added.

ASI’s next concert has yet to be scheduled.