Bijou Provides Great Hangout Space for CSUEB Students

Located on B Street in Hayward, the vibrant restaurant, bar and lounge is bringing the spark into the new Hayward downtown entertainment scene with its great affordable gourmet cuisine and hot weekend-lounge atmosphere.

Walking in Bijou, you are immediately taken over by the colors and modern design in the bar area as well as the dining area.

The restaurant is co-owned and managed by Benjamin Young, a former graduate of CSUEB who says he is interested in giving back to the Hayward community.

“I want Bijou to give back to the Hayward community because we plan on being here, so why not give back,” said Young.

Bijou provides opportunities for CSUEB students to host fundraisers and raise money for the school and Bijou. Students who come to dine also receive a 10 percent discount with their CSUEB identification card.

The delicious gourmet cuisine is prepared by Parisian Executive Chef Christian Nam-Hee, whose culinary skills are absolutely divine.

All of the food prepared is so fresh that the vegetables taste like they were taken right out of a garden. The Happy Hour bar menu includes reasonable food and drinks starting off at five dollars.

The nachos have a mixture of spices that combine and end with a burst of jalapeño that is just right at the end, while the Pork Baby Back Ribs bursts with flavors and spices as the meat fall right off the bone.

The Pear Lemon Drop signature cocktail is refreshing with pear infused vodka and fresh pressed lemon juice. The Basil Gimlet cocktail is a pleaser for Basil lovers; the cocktail is fresh with basil and lime bursts jumping out at you.

“The Five Spice Braised Shorts Ribs, with bacon wrapped French green beans is absolutely delicious the meat just melts in your mouth,” said dining guest Wanda Bayless.

Bijou has been in Hayward since 2008 and has survived the economic trials that America has been going through.

When Bijou first arrived in Hayward with a pricy menu, which discouraged many potential customers from trying out the new restaurant.

Today, the restaurant has shown a turnaround with new prices matching what customers and CSUEB students can afford.

“Bijou wanted to be affordable to get a good amount of food for a good price,” said Young. “Bijou changed with the economic times because we understood that everyone couldn’t afford the previous pricy menu.”

Bijou turns into a very dynamic weekend lounge from Thursday to Saturday and is open from 5 p.m. to 1:30 a.m., offering bottle service for guests. There is also a live DJ spinning songs for the lounge atmosphere.

Customers will find a “Wine Down” Wednesday deal where customers can come in and get half off of wine glasses and bottles starting at 4 p.m. The bar also has an incredible international wine shelf filled with exquisite wine variety.

It also offers public Wi-Fi for those wanting to work on assignments while catching a good meal. A Valentine’s special, including complementary champagne by reservation only, will be offered as well for those who want to take a study break.

Bijou is a great place to be for students wanting to wind down, grab a good meal, and enjoy a great Happy Hour in the comfortable bar lounge. A Valentine’s special, including complementary champagne by reservation only, will be offered as well.