Local Rapper Gains Nationwide Fame

Multi-talented G-Eazy impresses audiences with his
unique sound.

From being a student at Berkeley High School to being an opener for artists such as Afroman and Lil Wayne, 22-year-old local rapper G-Eazy has made a name for himself on his way to the top.

Born Gerald Earl Gillum, G-Eazy was raised in Oakland and Berkeley, starting off his career recording in his bedroom and starting a local group called the “Bay Boyz” while he was in the ninth grade.

“That was my first rendition of what I was trying to do with music,” said G-Eazy in an interview with The Pioneer. “It was just my friends that I was hanging out with already, so we just started making music together.”

Within three months, the boys released their first album through their MySpace page with G-Eazy mixing, producing, recording and designing the entire CD himself, later releasing his first solo album “Fresh EP” in 2008.

As a multi-skilled artist, G-Eazy is a rapper, performer, producer, graphic designer and video editor.

Growing up, G-Eazy was influenced by Bay Area legends, including E-40, Keek Da Sneak and the late Mac Dre, as well as artists such as Tupac and his mom’s favorite performers like The Beatles, Bob Dylan and Jimmy Hendrix.

“As I grew up, I found myself wanting to look deeper into the music that my parents grew up listening to and just get a better understanding of music and its history,” said G-Eazy.

As a result of that, G-Eazy has a sound that differs from rappers of today.

“I like to be all over the place with my music,” says G-Eazy. “I take pride in having a diverse sound that can’t be put into one box. You can say it’s a modernization of classic ‘50s and ‘60s pop music, sampled, clipped and put over hard 808 drums with a chill lay back flow on it.

“But then sometimes I just feel like rapping,” G-Eazy continued. “I just try not to stay in one box, you know?”

G-Eazy’s witty verse not only gets listeners to nod their heads to the beat but stimulates their minds as well.

With the appearance of singer Harry Connick Jr. and vintage Frank Sinatra, in addition to his extraordinary swag and creative — yet comical — lyrical flow, G-Eazy brings forth a style of music in its own genre.

G-Eazy self-released a number of albums before graduating from Berkeley High School in 2007. He then moved to New Orleans in order to attend Loyola University.

“I don’t think my music would be what it is today had I stayed in the Bay,” said G-Eazy. “We definitely have a unique scene here. It’s a unique sound and style and that’s what I grew up on and love, but leaving the Bay kind of broadened my horizons and opened new doors.

“New Orleans definitely has its own unique scene as well,” added G-Eazy. “I think it was good for me to get away from home and just open my eyes up a bit.”

In 2009, he was nominated for the Annual mtvU Best Music on Campus Award. A year later, he was given the opportunity to open up for well-known Young Money rapper Drake.

“When I look out into the crowd and see kids singing the words, I can’t even put the feeling into words,” said G-Eazy. “It’s the coolest thing in the world to me, just knowing something I made has affected somebody like that.”

To this date, G-Eazy has opened for artists including Lil Wayne, Big Sean, Afroman and Snoop Dogg.

2011 marked a memorable year for G-Eazy. In April he released his album “The Outsider” and this past August he put out his album “Endless Summer.”

“Endless Summer” samples a number of ‘50s and ‘60s rock records and doo-wop records, which gives it a classical meets hip hop sound.

“I experimented with this album by taking these old songs that are basically using the same chord percussions as pop music today and then I just half sound the drums to bring it down to a more typical rap tempo,” explained G-Eazy. “It brings songs together that come from polar opposite sides of music and match them up to see how I can make them work.”

One of the hit songs on the album includes a modern version of the 1961 hit song “Runaround Sue” by Dion Dimucci.

“Endless Summer” features collaborations with artists including Greg Banks, Erika Summers and American Idol contestant Devon Baldwin.

In addition, he was nominated for “Best Rap/Hip Hop Artist,” “Best Music Video” and “Best Rap / Hip Hop Album” by Best of the Beat.

This past November, G-Eazy embarked on a nationwide tour with fellow rapper and friend Shwayze.

Currently G-Eazy is working on yet another album, but this one will contain all original songs.

“I love sampling stuff and it’s great fun for me,” says G-Eazy. “I want to push myself to get back to writing all original songs, without standing on the crutch of using a sample.”

Just three weeks ago, G-Eazy graduated from Loyola University with a B.S. in Music Industry Studies.

“In the big picture, sure I’m beginning to make a living now, but who is to say next year I don’t fall completely off,” said G-Eazy. “That degree is something that will never go away.”

G-Eazy came back home to take the stage of his sold out show at The New Parish in Oakland and he plans to commit to stay close to his Bay Area fans, by coming back to perform at least twice a year.

“Expect to hear a lot more material this year,” said G-Eazy. “This is my first time not having school in the way. I mean, I am proud of what we were able to do while in school, but I think it’s going to be even crazier this year.”