Recreation and Wellness Center Creates Student Jobs

A student front desk attendant inputs information for another student’s account. She is one of 100 students that have been employed by the newly built RAW center.

CSU East Bay created more than 100 new jobs for students when it opened the new Recreation and Wellness Center on the Hayward campus.

The doors to the brand new, state-of-the-art fitness center, officially opened Jan. 11, 2011 at 1:11 p.m. with 750 members already pre-registered.

The $42 million, 55,000 square foot facility is funded by student fees and is almost entirely run by students.

“In a struggling economy, the center will help contribute to student employees financial needs, while building a broader campus community,” said Saeed Gaston, 22, Assistant Coordinator of Intramural Sports at the RAW center.

Prior to the fall trial period, ASI Recreation organized a two-day student job fair at the beginning of last quarter for the new building.

“There was a great turnout at the job fair,” said Gatson. “Students were lined up to submit their applications.”

Students run various programs in the RAW center, including day-to-day operations, equipment rental, intramural sports leagues, tournaments, special events, fitness classes, the fitness center and marketing.

“I love that the RAW center is on campus,” said Gatson. “It’s so convenient and they work with my school schedule.”

A trial opening of the RAW center between the fall and winter quarters allowed student workers to get experience before the influx of students came. Nearly 1,300 students applied for the trial opening as well as 200 candidates from the community, said Smith.

“It was really nice getting to work a little over the break,” said Olina Benson, 19, a front desk attendant. “I was able to save up some money for the holidays, while learning the ins and outs of how things will be run in the building.”

Construction for the building began on May 21, 2009 after students voted to approve it through surveys and forums, according to CSUEB records. Over 1,000 students supported the idea of a fitness center on campus.

The RAW center has partnered with Student Health and Counseling Services at CSUEB to promote health and wellness around campus, said Smith. The health promotion department from Student Health and Counseling Services operates the building’s wellness center.

The services include fitness and nutrition assessments, stress and sleep management workshops, massage, and a Wii Room. They manage up to 30 student Peer Advocates for Wellness interns, said Smith.

“The students are already sharing their excitement about how positively this is going to change their campus experience,” said Smith, “and with an organizational structure composed of almost all students, we anticipate great success related to building community and life at CSUEB.”