Al Fresco Event Pulls Campus Community Together

Clubs recruit and students learn about programs to assist them with their education

The flurry of activity on campus, paired with good weather and eager faces, can only mean one thing: another fall quarter has started and students are ready for the first big event.

Al Fresco, taking place Wednesday October 6th and 7th and with headliners such as the Sledge Grits and J Cole, is starting this year off with a bang.

“Al Fresco is a strong symbol of what East Bay has to offer its students,” said Samantha Calderon, Director of Legislative Affairs for ASI.

“It gives the best opportunities for students to get involved on campus,” said Calderon.

Students can take a break from studying and enjoy the beginning of a new scholastic year with free food, games, music and chances to get involved on campus.

In the past, ASI has booked big names like Lupe Fiasco, David Banner and Slim from the band 112. This year, the main headliner, J Cole, will be performing the day after Al Fresco.

J Cole, a Southern rap artist from North Carolina, not only creates impressive beats but also applies a smooth take to Southern rapping.

“He wasn’t available for the first day of Al Fresco,” explained Calderon. “But we still felt that students should get a big performer so we had him do a concert for the day after.”

On October 6th, the main Al Fresco event is the Sledge Grits, a four-member sisters band whose ages range from 7-14 years old.

With performances in small fairs and other events all over the country, these young ladies are paving a path for girl empowerment, proving that age does not define talent.

“Because of the last couple of years, students expect big head liners but this year we want to focus more on the community,” said Jonathan Stoll, programs coordinator for ASI.

To get more students excited about Al Fresco, it was moved from the Amphitheater, where it is usually held, to Meiklejohn lawn.

“This is the hub of the campus,” said Calderon. “It’s better to be here because there is more traffic.”

Anne Bartlett, president of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA), appreciates the increased traffic but prefers Al Fresco to be held in the Amphitheater.

“It has more of a special event aura,” said Bartlett. “Here feels like just another day of tabling.”

Organizations and clubs on campus are also getting involved in the festivities by giving performances or setting up events.

The Recreation and Wellness Center is encouraging all students to participate in its tug-of-war, which it hopes will turn into a tradition at campus events.

Clubs and other student organizations were hopeful in recruiting and informing students about their programs, helping in their own way to be a part of and expand the East Bay campus community.

Bartlett seemed pleased as she looked around at the crowds of people huddled at tables across the main walkway in front of the student unions.

“I expect it will be a good year for club activity,” she said.