East Bay hosts ‘Showtime at the Apollo’

Jalen Francis,

On Tuesday, Cal State East Bay will host its 4th annual Showtime at the Apollo event at the University Theater on February 7th 2017. It will began at 6 p.m. and end at 9:30 p.m. The free event, hosted by Associated Students Incorporated—the student government association—is happening during homecoming week.

This year’s show will feature R&B singer-songwriter Marsha Ambrosius, who began her career as an original member of a singing group called Floetry, who in 2001 worked with pop icon Micheal Jackson on his song “Butterflies,” from the album “Invincible.” She helped compose the lyrics and also sang as a backup vocalist on that track. She has also collaborated with The Game and Busta Rhymes.

Junior Sociology major Deja Croft appreciates Ambrosius’ soulful vibe. “It’s the type of music you burn an incense and have a glass a wine to,” Deja says as she continues her list of things you could do while listening to Marsha’s music.

The event will also feature student dancers, singers, comedians and hip-hop artists. This gives students an opportunity to showcase their talents on a larger platform.

The Showtime at the Apollo event is different than the television show it emulates: the television show allows booing and 3-striking performers off stage, but the campus event is meant to be supportive of up-and-coming talent. At the end of the show, the crowd chooses who the ultimate winner is: whoever receives the loudest applause wins.

Former graduate Da’Ryn Merriwhether, won first place in the 2015 Showtime at the Apollo campus event for her performance of “Fool for you” by CeeLo Green. In second place was CSUEB alumni Michael C—also known as Braxxy—with an original rap. Guitarist Nado Tavor took third place with his own version of the Barbie girl theme song. In 2015, well-known R&B singer Goapele perfomed her hit song, “Milk and Honey.” At last year’s Apollo show, R&B singer Jacquees.

“I totally rock for all the students,” ASI Special event coordinator Marc Cochran said. “It’s their fee, so I make sure i do my best to give them what they deserve”.