Naturally Me expo returns to campus

Naturally Me expo returns to campus

Tishauna Carrell,
Blogger

The 2nd annual Naturally Me Expo will be held on campus May 4 through May 6 in the Multipurpose Room located in the New University Union on the Cal State East Bay campus.

The idea for this event came last year from Marguerite Hinrichs, Director of Student Life and Leadership at CSUEB. Hinrichs had recently heard of a self love and natural hair event that took place in North Carolina and urged organizer, Aaliyah Bey, to host a similar event at CSUEB.

Bey, along with her friends, gathered together to spearhead the 1st annual “Naturally Me” expo last April.

Naturally Me was once an interest group, but became an official club this April to promote self love, self care and natural hair for all ethnicities.

“It was small, intimate.. it touched a lot of people and the vendors who came, we get them from the Bay Area,” said Bey in regards to last year’s expo.

Last year, there was little time to promote the event. This year, Bey expects more attendees and a wide range of activities.

The expo is free and filled with “Do it yourself” skincare and hair care activities, local Bay Area beauty vendors, makeup artist, yoga, a fashion show, discussions, contest and giveaways.

“The main reason for doing this event is to embrace self love and to say it’s not about just wearing your hair natural, its not about that, the idea of this event is to say you can love yourself for who you are and even if you put on makeup, there’s nothing wrong with that,” said Bey.

Break Down of Events :

*Day 1: May 4th, 6:00-8:30p.m.
– Very special keynote speaker
– Fun hair and skin DIY’s
– Makeup artist to give advice and great makeup tips & tricks!

*Day 2: May 5th, 6:00-8:30p.m.
– Yoga fitness
– Natural, healthy refreshments
– Inspirational note cards

Day 3: May 6th, 5:30p.m-8:30p.m.
– Showcase highlighting CSUEB and the Bay Area’s own artists and performers
– Natural hair fashion show
– Hair, skin, makeup, and clothing vendors available