Clinic renamed after past campus president

Photo | Marina Swanson

President Morishita speaks in celebration of the life of Norma S. Rees.

Tiffany Jones,
Campus Editor

Yesterday, California State University, East Bay dedicated and renamed the Speech Language and Hearing Clinic after Norma S. Rees, former university president, and her husband Ray R. Rees.

“[The renaming of the clinic] is something we have been pursuing for a long time,” said Nidhi Mahendra, associate professor and chair of the communicative sciences and disorders department.

“We were fortunate to have someone who is internationally known in our profession of speech pathology and also the longest seated president of CSUEB,“ said Mahendra.

The now Norma S. and Ray R. Rees Speech, Language and Hearing Clinic, serves about 90-100 patients per week.

“The naming has been in the works for 5 to 6 years now, but after her passing, it was important to us to recognize her within the year of her passing,” said Mahendra.

Colleagues and friends describe Rees as dedicated, determined, and very special in the things she did.

According to current university president, Leroy Morishita, “she did not shy away from controversy.” She was also a very big part of helping to diversify the student population.

“She has won all the highest honors of the profession and is known for her groundbreaking research and how we understand a language disorder on daily life,” said Mahendra.

Morishita also says that to his knowledge, the clinic is the only place on campus named after a past president.

“To us, this was a perfect match. It was the right way to pay tribute,” said Mahendra.