AMZ_CSUEB

UPD Looks to Enforce Pedestrian Laws

Campus police will begin implementing stricter jaywalking and pedestrian laws, according to Sgt. Yolanda Harris of CSU East Bay’s University Police Department (UPD).

“Within the last four or five months we’ve had three pedestrian versus auto accidents where either the person was jaywalking or […] ran into traffic without paying attention to the vehicles that are coming along,” said Harris.

The latest accident occurred on Jan. 12, where a female pedestrian lingered outside of a crosswalk and her foot was run over by a vehicle, according to UPD’s media logs.

UPD decided after the latest incident they wanted to try and educate first through a pedestrian and motor vehicle awareness campaign first.

“It was our thoughts that we should increase citing people,” said Harris, “but we didn’t want to do that before we did some education and preventative measures first.”
UPD has been tabling as well as passing out flyers meant to inform students of the potential changes.

The flyers include a picture of students who were jaywalking along with an example of what a jaywalking citation would look like.

The price of a jaywalking citation is $191, which has angered some students.

“It’s another way to get our money,” said CSUEB student Aaliyah Bey.

Harris said the UPD had no control over the price and that $191 was the fine noted for jaywalking citations.

“I would be mad if I was cited,” said international student Tobias Aronsson. “I walk across clear streets every day.”

“I jaywalk all the time,” said CSUEB student Tiffany Trabajo. “I mean, we’re college students. We pay $130 dollars for parking passes. That’s a bit much.”

Harris said the four or five accidents that have occurred were enough to feel there was a problem.

According to Harris, one accident last year caused one victim to have life-threatening injuries and was left in a coma, and her current condition is not known.

The crosswalk by Pioneer Heights, Hayward Blvd. and West Loop Road are the locations Harris believes will be the “hot spots.”

“At one point we will be enforcing because at one point someone could be seriously injured,” said Harris.

CSUEB students say they do not believe the increase in jaywalking is merely for safety purposes.

“I believe they’re doing it somewhat for our safety and the other part just for money,” said CSUEB student Sergio Cerna.

With the continuing increases in tuition, fees and parking passes, students feel this is just another way for the school to get money from them.

“Students are in a rush and classes are right there. I don’t think it’s fair,” exclaimed CSUEB student Christy Reed.

While pedestrians may be the only recipients of jaywalking tickets, Harris believes motorists are just as guilty as pedestrians.

“We want to educate motorists because we do know there is a problem with motorists that drive through the crosswalks while pedestrians are walking,” said Harris. “We’ll target motorists that don’t stop for pedestrians as well.

“Education first, and then enforcement,” declared Harris. “Sometimes you do have to cite people so they know that we really care and that no one is really injured on campus.”