Student Organizations React to Potential ASI Funding Change

Student organizations fear budget cuts may eliminate
their ability to fund events.

On-campus clubs and organizations fear potential changes in the way Associated Students Incorporated (ASI) distributes money could have a negative effect on everyone involved.

The way the system currently works, programs and clubs all have a budget each quarter and turn in paperwork with the request to receive whatever amount of money they requested.

Leaders of clubs and organizations believe that the process currently causes problems because of how far ahead requests for the cash advances have to be made.

“We’ve always had a problem with that,” said Vice President of Pilipino American Students Association (PASA) Francie Savangsy. “It also takes a long time for ASI to approve the things we have to get.”

One of the changes that could occur is cash advances would no longer be allowed and clubs and organizations would have to pay out of their own pockets and then be reimbursed by ASI at a later time.

Yet according to Black Student Union President (BSU) Taren Williams, clubs and organizations already have to wait to be reimbursed in certain situations as it is, and making it a permanent thing would not help.

Leaders of clubs are not pleased at what could happen.

“Clubs need money to put on events,” said Williams. “You have to spend money of your own and then get reimbursed already.”

According to ASI President Christopher Prado, everything that has been discussed is just speculation as of now.

“Nothing has been officially passed by the board of directors’ yet,” said Prado.

The idea for the potential changes was proposed by Siddharth Menon, ASI VP of Finance who did not respond for this story.

With organization leaders already upset with how the system currently works, they do not want to see any more changes made unless they help the clubs and organizations.

“They are already strict with their guidelines, so it’s easier for us to fundraise for ourselves,” Savangsy expressed.

Williams elaborated on the same views as her counterpart about the situation.

“Even if you have your own fundraised money you can’t get it from ASI like you would do a regular bank,” said Williams.

Prado believes that nothing that has been discussed will be too drastic of a change.

“It intends to modify the process,” said Prado.

“We’ve had problems trying to get things approved and they even lost paperwork that we filed, [so] we are having trouble trusting them,” said Savangsy.

Prado believes the concerns echoed by the leaders of the clubs and organizations are what has not caused anything to be made official by the board just yet.

“They already want a breakdown of everything and took almost a year just to approve use of a theater, so we’ll see what happens,” said Savangsy.

With all the budgets cuts occurring there are fears within clubs and organizations that more than just the elimination of cash advances.

“I think that eventually the budget cuts will lead to the complete absence of clubs on campus,” expressed Williams.