Inaugural Benefit Concert Coming to CSUEB This February

Stance, a dance team at CSU East Bay, intends to host their inaugural benefit concert on campus for the Boys & Girls Clubs of America this winter on Feb. 4 in the CSUEB Theater.

“Every penny that Stance gains from the benefit concert will go to the Boys & Girls Clubs of America,” explained Aaron Pratt, the team’s spokesman.

Stance members said they decided to donate to the Boys & Girls Clubs of America because they admire what the organization does to help at risk youth, elaborated Pratt.

According to Stance’s co-founding member Justin Sharlman, Stance is an organization that focuses on arts and community service.

Participating in numerous events on and off campus, including the recent faculty strike, the team acts to enrich and enhance society.

“We don’t want to just be viewed as [just] another organization on campus, we want to make a difference,” clarified Sharlman.

Crucial in the decision to hold a benefit concert for the Boys & Girls Clubs of America was the influence the institution had on members of the Stance dance team.

Though they come from various backgrounds, the majority of them were familiar with the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, while some members, such as co-founder Shawn Hawkins, had a profound experience with the institution.

“My mentors and experiences at the Boys & Girls Clubs of America influenced me to pursue a college degree,” told Hawkins.

Many other Stance members were also members of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America growing up, which, according to Hawkins, inspired their decision to donate to the organization.

“This benefit concert is significant to Stance and kids in need as well,” Hawkins said. “We’re donating money to help inspire children and change lives.”

The benefit concert itself will be similar to a variety show and it will include singing, dancing, and poetry.

“It’s not just a dance show, we are encouraging anyone with a talent to sign up for a good cause,” Pratt said.

When asked how many performers were scheduled, lead designer of Stance, Marvelle Reed said, “There are currently five performers scheduled to appear at the benefit.

“We’re planning on getting a few local artists and possibly a special guest celebrity to perform,” he elaborated.

If the benefit concert is a success, hinted Pratt, Stance will host more events on campus this school year.

This past winter break was spent discussing and organizing the details of the event in order to “put on the best benefit concert possible,” as described by member Krystal Bates, allowing the team ample time to arrange and plan the concert.

So far the event has been met with positive reviews.

“I think that a benefit concert for the Boys & Girls Clubs of America is really positive,” said CSUEB student Elnora Phillips.

Echoing her enthusiasm, CSUEB alum Brandy Walls exclaimed, “I wish this benefit concert was held before I graduated because Stance always puts on a memorable show.”

Members of the team, according to Pratt, are also eagerly anticipating the performance, as they are excited about hosting their first annual benefit concert and hope it to be a momentous occasion at CSUEB.