Psychology Student Attends United Nations Internship

Chidimma Ogbeogwu (right) with United Nations Secretary General Ban-ki Moon (left), one of the many perks of her internship.

CSU East Bay psychology student Chidimma Ogbeogwu recently attended the United Nations Intensive Summer Internship Study Program in New York, becoming the first student from CSUEB to do so.

The United Nations Intensive Summer Study Program is a week-long program designed for graduate students and advanced undergraduates to become fully immersed in the political dynamics and familiarize themselves with the inner workings of the U.N.

A native of Nigeria, Ogbeogwu has been living in the United States since 2002 and has been a CSUEB student since 2009.

As a psychology student, Ogbeogwu feels her education from CSUEB enabled her to attend the internship.

“I‘ve always been inspired by responses to humanitarian crises by the U.N. and by other private agencies,” she said. “This passion has fueled my ambition to study psychology and to look into studying international development and coexistence.”

With her outstanding performances in her classes and dedication to her craft, Ogbeogwu was supported by many people at CSUEB so she could gain acceptance into the prestigious program.

Among those who supported her were the CSUEB administration, in providing funding to cover her registration and hotel, and Michael Lueng, Dean of the College of Science, who offered Ogbeogwu $400 after hearing her story.

Ogbeogwu was someone who, they said, they were proud of and willing to assist in any way possible.

“I was impressed by her sincere interest in International affairs. I found they had appropriately chosen a minority female who would benefit greatly from the experience,” said Leung.

“I was happy to provide [her] with the support, as I knew she will be a great representative of the university and will bring back experience that we can all learn and benefit from,” continued Leung.

Ogbeogwu’s success in the program has brought joy to the people who supported her.

“I was glad when she was accepted in the program,” said psychology professor Felix Herndon, who wrote one of her recommendation letters.

“It makes me feel very good when someone from our comparatively small university here in California is able to be so directly involved in such a large and internationally important institution as the U.N.,” he said.

According to Ogbeogwu, she met and discussed with some key United Nations board members, including the Secretary General himself, Mr. Ban-ki Moon, and several other guest speakers, including Dr. Courtney Smith, Associate Dean of Whitehead School of Diplomacy and International Relations and Minh-Thu Pham, director of public policy for the United Nations Foundation.

Ogbeogwu’s story, many say, will be remembered as it led to a brand new policy by the Associated Students Incorporated (ASI) to support upcoming outstanding students for future trips intended for academic reasons such as Ogbeogwu’s.

After making a presentation to the ASI Board of Directors, the student government awarded her $1,000 for her trip.

The presentation enabled her to get $1,000 from ASI for her trip.

Ogbeogwu is a valid representation of CSUEB’s ability to work hard in achieving its goals.

“I thought this was a breakthrough,” she said. “It showed me that when God does something great for you, he does much more that you ask for, can imagine, or think of asking.”