USF_MA_U_P

Farmers Market Healthy Alternative for Frugal College Students

Budgeting healthy meal options can be a challenge on a college student’s budget, but the Berkeley farmers market is there to help.

Many students on campus find it financially challenging to consider eating healthy when the cost for fruits and vegetables from chain supermarkets are so expensive.

Local farmers markets are a great alternative because they not only offer organic and fresher produce, it also supplies college students with a cost incentive as well.

“I drive from Alameda and I am on campus all day Tuesdays and Thursdays and I always find myself eating chocolate, cookies and chips throughout the day because that is what I can afford,” said student and commuter at CSUEB Andrea Jones.

“If I had a better job and could afford to buy vegetables, then of course I would consider it,” she said.

Not having the convenience or knowledge of a healthier alternative can take a toll on their studies and grades, as a lack of a healthy diet can affect their mental health as well, students like Jones said.

Oakland Grand Lake Farmers Market is one of the many produce markets in the Bay Area that has affordable fruit and vegetable prices.

“The quality of the fruits and vegetables at this market are worth the price,” said Tony Ramos, whose family sells a variety fruit every Sunday. “We have good quality fruit at a low price.”

“Everything is packaged in stores and is one of the reasons why it costs more to buy fruit and vegetables in stores,” said Pat Caliahan, a regular farmers market shopper. “It is important to be able to select the fruit you want.”

The produce quality in stores such as Luckys and Safeway are good but not great like farmers market, locals said.

The most recent study conducted in May 2011 by Seattle Albers School of Business found that the average price of organic items available at some selected farmers market were as much as 26 cents lower than a chain grocery store.

This makes farmers market produce is a smart choice for many college students as tuition prices have forced many to cut back on their financial budget.

Buying directly from farmers markets, many said, can help students support a healthier food system at an inexpensive cost.