Students Try to Access Health Insurance

CSU East Bay, Wells Fargo Bank, and Anthem Blue Cross Life and Health teamed up to offer students free health and travel medical insurance.

“I think this is a great benefit because outside of school I wouldn’t have health insurance,” said incoming transfer student Penelope Crouse-Feehan.

A student that is enrolled in nine or more units or is a registered graduate student is eligible to receive free health insurance from the school.

“When I was enrolled full-time, I used the benefits of my free health care,” recent graduate Detra Ford said.

“My job doesn’t give benefits. So the free health care will be helpful when I enroll in the graduate program,” Ford added.

The free health insurance fee is included the university tuition.

“I think it is a right that we as paying students get at least some help with health insurance,” said freshmen Katharine White.

“I think everyone deserves health care,” White also added.

To begin using the benefits of free insurance, a student must have all payments paid to CSUEB.

“I think that it is a right instead of a privilege that we get free health care,” said freshman Myles Fulgencio. “We pay for it, so it makes sense.”

An eligible student can also purchase dependent coverage for spouses, domestic partners, newborns or adoptions.

During freshmen orientation, CSUEB makes it a point to let the incoming freshmen know about the benefits the university offers.

Transfer students have a different way of receiving this information.

Junior transfer student Mia Cooper likes the fact that CSUEB offers free health insurance, but isn’t too happy about being uninformed of this benefit.

“A lot of people don’t know about some of these resources that the university offers,” said Cooper. “I feel like the school doesn’t want us to know.”

“I think that it is a privilege that students need to take advantage of because there are people out there that work and can’t get health insurance,” Cooper said.

If a student wants to begin the processes of obtaining free health care, the university business center is the place to go for information. The center offers free information and brochures to help guide students through the process.

Through Anthem Blue Cross Life and Health Insurance Company, students also have the options of dental coverage as well.

“This is definitely a benefit I use,” said CSUEB senior Alex Sanchez. “I have been to the campus clinic many times in my years here at East Bay.”

“Now that I’m getting kicked off my parents insurance and my job doesn’t offer insurance, I’m glad I have plans to enter the graduate program,” Sanchez said.