USF_MA_U_P

Multinational “Families” at CSUEB

By Andrea Jones
Staff Writer

Many students gain friendships in college that last a life time, but International students gain new families to help build a home away from home.

International Housing Director Cheryl Tan helps students create families that help them cope with not being at home with their biological families.

Cal State East Bay provides Housing for international students as well as links them to the school’s American Language Program (ALP), which offers a wide range of high-quality programs for students from all over the world.

If students are interested in improving their English, preparing for university studies in the United States, getting a post-bachelor’s certificate, or experiencing life at an American university, the ALP is the program for them and International Housing is the perfect place to stay.

“My goal is to make everybody feel they belong to a family and make them feel at home as much as possible,” said Tan.

To help students come together every week, the International Housing and APL team up to hold mixer activities. This includes shopping, trips to amusement parks, game nights and socials to help create friendships.

“I want them to walk on campus and feel they know people, have friends, and have a place they belong… these activities help make that happen,” said Tan.

With the connection to ALP, they provide assistance to all students of all different parts of the world by offering courses like Extreme English Learning, Social Skills in English, Currency and Check making, and Manners in public places.

When students apply for the International program they choose a major, just as any other student that attends CSUEB. But the majority of international students choose Business. According to recent studies, for the upcoming year, most international students are applying under the music programs.

When applying for International Housing, all are welcome to stay even if you are an American. The only requirement is to spend freshman year in the regular dormitory offered at CSUEB. Most students don’t know that it is possible to stay in International Housing even if you are not an International student.

Unlike regular housing at CSUEB, International Housing is open all year, including summer. Nonetheless, many students choose to go home during the summer to be with their families. The reason it is open year-round is because some international students come to CSUEB on special programs, or even just come for a quarter, which allows them to come at any time.

This years International students all come from countries such as Sweden, Germany, Finland, Korea, India, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Japan, Thailand and Turkey.

International Housing is  centered on creating strong  bonds that become like family.

“These students need friends to lean on, there is nobody out here with them…some come at the age of seventeen, they need to create families to feel at home and that’s what we provide, Family,” says Tan.