AMZ_CSUEB

CSUEB Community Indifferent Over Valedictorian System

With the 2012 graduation approaching, CSU East Bay faculty, staff and students are indifferent as to rather or not the campus should have selected valedictorians.

According to staff and faculty who have been with the university for over 30 years, the campus in the Hayward hills has never had valedictorians, even in its days as CSU Hayward.

When asked if the campus should have valedictorians as opposed to just honoring one student with the valedictorian honor, Dr. Susan Opp, associate vice president Academic Programs and Graduate Studies wasn’t for or against the idea.

“I have no preference,” she said.

The absence of a valedictorian is a common occurrence in the California State University system (CSU) as well as outside it.

According to Opp, Fullerton, Humboldt, Sacramento, Cal Maritime and San Marcos are among other notable CSUs who lack valedictorians, while Cal Poly Pomona actually has a valedictorian system.

While it is not known why the campus does not have valedictorians or why it has never had any, Dr. Sally Murphy, director of General Education and Freshman Year Programs believes it is because of the separation between the colleges.

“Graduation is divided here,” she explained. “Each college sponsors its own graduation ceremony.”

Dr. Murphy also went onto explain that while graduations are divided, the campus could have valedictorians though that option has not been brought up.

“I attended three universities and taught at five others before I came here and never saw, heard a valedictorian at graduation at those eight or here.”

Currently, the campus presents students who are graduating with academic honors and those who participated in our honors program are recognized at this specific honors celebration. 

They receive a medallion to wear at graduation and are honored by the president, provost, deans and faculty, according to Murphy.

This year, 79 students were honored with the Summa Cum Laude, which honors students who are graduating with a grade point average (GPA) between 3.85 and 4.00 while Magna Cum Laude and Cum Laude are honors for students who will graduate with a 3.75 to 3.84 and 3.65 to 3.74, respectively.

Though the lack of valedictorians are notable those at the university find it to be a blessing in disguise of sorts.

“Rather than singling out a person, I like the fact that we celebrate all of them,” Opp explained. “Maintaining a GPA that high is truly amazing, even if they’re not the number one.”

John Ronquillo, who will be graduating with a 4.0 from CSUEB, believes having a valedictorian will be good for the campus.

“I think it would be nice,” he said. “I think it would be great, like a good encouragement for other honor students.”

While having a valedictorian is currently not an option, Ronquillo does not mind the current honors students can achieve.

“I’m okay with current honors convocation,” he explained. “It was very precious for me; it was one day of honoring all the efforts of the students.”