AMZ_CSUEB

CSU Professors Vote to Strike

Faculty plan to protest alongside students against
descisons made in the CSU.

The California State University system edged closer to possibly the largest strike in the history of American higher education last week after 95 percent of CSU union faculty voted to go on strike if contract negotiations with CSU management continue to fail in the coming months.

The strike vote is yet another development in a nearly two-year battle between CSU management and the California Faculty Association (CFA) — the union that represents professors, lecturers, librarians, counselors and coaches in the CSU system — over how to renew faculty contracts amid ever-decreasing financial support from the state.

The talks have been gridlocked over salary increases, class size limits and long-term contracts for temporary faculty. CSU management argues the CFA’s proposals would add an additional $504.1 million to a budget already strained by massive cuts.

“These estimates do not include all the potential impacts associated with CFA’s full proposal,” said Gail Brooks, vice chancellor of Human Resources for CSU. “These demands come at a time when the CSU has had its budget cut by $750 million, with an additional $200 million cut possible at some point in the next fiscal year.”

Kim Geron, CSU East Bay Political Science Department Chair and CFA vice president, responds that despite the financial crises that has devastated California’s budget, CSU presidents have received massive pay increases.

“Faculty have not had a raise since 2008,” said Geron. “Junior faculty who have not had a raise over the last four years are suffering and some of them are leaving in order to find other opportunities where they can make more money.”

Another contentious issue is over the reimbursement of CFA union leadership’s leave time.

According to CSU Media Relations Manager Erik Fallis, CFA President Lillian Taiz — history professor at CSU Los Angeles — receives a professor’s salary despite being released from all of her classes.

According to Fallis, the CSU currently pays for 80 percent of that costs; the CSU’s proposal would change it to a 50/50 split.

Jennifer Eagan, CSUEB Philosophy department chair, counters that the lecturer covering President Taiz’ classes gets paid less than Taiz’ doctorate would command.

Last month, the CFA walked away from negotiations shortly before implementing the strike vote. The two sides had agreed to resume talks on May 3, but the CFA again walked out after only two days of negotiations.

“We are very disappointed that CFA chose to walk out and we were not able to bring these negotiations to a successful conclusion,” said Brooks.  “We have said all along that we want a new contract, and CSU remains willing to continue the negotiation process at any time to resolve these differences.”

Should negotiations continue to fail, the CFA’s current plans call for a rolling two-day strike in the fall, where all faculty at each of the CSU’s 23 campuses will strike separately in two day intervals. If this happens, the fall semester could be disrupted or delayed for many CSU students.

“We have said all along that we do not want to strike, but we will if that is what is necessary,” said Taiz.

The next step in the process is fact finding, where an independent third party will review the issues and make a recommendation for resolution. At that point, the Chancellor will be able to impose his final offer to the union. If the CFA decides the final contract offer is not acceptable, CSU faculty will go on strike.