AMZ_CSUEB

ASI Appoints New Members to Board

After weeks of going through an appointment process Associated Students Incorporated (ASI) added two new members to their board of directors on Wednesday.

Corrie Christine and Courtney Symonds were appointed as the new Director of Environmental Affairs and the Director of the University Union, respectively.

“I thought the process was pretty fair and that it was a good process,” said Symonds.

With ASI adopting what the board considers “a process similar to that of a job interview,” the process of filling the two director slots lasted longer than usual.

“The process of appointing them was in fact new. It was a collective idea of the board of directors to have a more professional process,” said President of ASI Chris Prado.

“It was long but it was like a job interview so people who did apply took it more serious,” said Christine. “Some people see positions and are like, I’ll run for that or vote for that, but once you actually [know] what’s involved and what’s entailed in the process you actually have some goals in mind and do take it more serious.”

Though the process felt like it lasted for months to the candidates because it happened late in the quarter, both are happy with their positions.

Both are looking for positive changes under their new positions.

“I want programs that are both educational and fun and social,” said Symonds.

As Director of the University Union, Symonds will be in charge of enforcing the policies of the unions and creating events that will be held in the two buildings.

“I want to talk to students about what is working and what they want changed,” said Symonds.

Christine has a different role, yet she also believes she will bring positive changes to ASI.

“As Director of Environmental Affairs I plan to get students and faculty involved in promoting how we can become more environmentally friendly as a school and I have a couple projects ready,” said Christine.

Though majority of the board approved the appointments, Stan Herbert, Associated Vice President of Student Affairs, abstained his vote, while Frank Quintana, Director of Legislative Affairs voted against the appointments as his way of protesting the process.

“The reason I voted no is because of the process in which it was done. The process was done through the personnel committee and I do not feel comfortable voting for somebody who somebody else chose for me,” said Quintana.

According to Prado, there was no new election process, but the process that was taken is typical when two board positions become vacant. They are to be appointed by the student-elected board of directors.
Though Quintana wants to see change in the process, Prado is happy with the results.

“I’m more than pleased; the process of appointment was transparent and all of the candidates were more than qualified for the respective positions they were applying for,” said Prado.
With the process complete, Prado is ready to start working with the two new members.

“I’m enthusiastic about finally filling the two positions of the board. These two positions are vital to the increased representation of the student voice and opinion concerning environmental and sustainability prerogatives on campus,” said Prado.

“I definitely want to be a part of it [ASI] because of peer involvement,” said Christine. “I want to make a difference.”