Men’s basketball team goes 1-1 in last two games

Photo by Kedar Dutt/The Pioneer

Photo by Kedar Dutt/The Pioneer

Marissa Marshall,
Staff Writer

The California State East Bay men’s basketball team ended their season 1-1 over the weekend with games against Chico State and Stanislaus State.

In what seemed to be a promising season for the Pioneers due to their 6-0 start in the beginning of the season, it was a surprise to not see the men go into the postseason.

On Friday, the team played a very strong Chico State (21-6 overall, 14-5 CCAA) team.

In the first half, the Wildcats completely dominated the Pioneers as they shot 69.2 percent from the field and seemed unstoppable. By the end of the half, Chico led East Bay 45-27 and lived up to their record.

East Bay came out much stronger in the second half and outscored the Wildcats 39-33, but the Wildcats’ performance in the first half sealed the deal and gained them the upper hand on the Pioneers.

The men fell 78-66 to Chico State going into their final game the next day.

On Saturday the team played their last game of the season, which was also Senior Day. East Bay honored six seniors: guards Pierre Carter, Jalen Richard, Tre Mauldin, Paramvir Singh and forwards Micah Dunhour and Lamine Mbodj. The East Bay athletic department brought out the players families and gave a brief recap of their careers before the game.

“It was an emotional weekend,” Dunhour said. “Being able to be with my brothers and coaching staff on the court one last time and playing in front of my family meant so much to me.”

The game featured excitement, emotions and surprises. During the senior awards, Mauldin proposed to his girlfriend in front of his teammates, family and game attendees, which amped up the crowd before the game.

East Bay played hard throughout the entire game, but were outscored by the Wildcats in the first half, 32-25 and shot only 22.5 percent from the field.

The Pioneers turned the game around in the second half and outscored the Wildcats 43-34, thanks in large part to freshman guard Druce Asah and Dunhour.

Asah dropped in 15 points, 4 rebounds and 2 assists. But the real powerhouse was Dunhour, who scored 28 points and 15 rebounds and went 9-for-15 shooting in his final game as a Pioneer.

Aside from his big numbers, Dunhour’s biggest play of the game came in the final seconds. With three seconds left and the game tied at 66, Dunhour hit a game-winning jumper to cap off his last game on a high note.

“I really just wanted to give everything I had and get a final win for the program, that is all,” Dunhour said. “I am going to miss being out on the court playing the game I love with my brothers every day.”

Dunhour’s jumper gave the Pioneers a 68-66 win against the Wildcats and ended their season at 13-15 overall and 6-14 in conference.

“It felt surreal coming to the understanding that this was really the end,” Richard said. “Overall it was a great to have my mom see me play my last game and to leave knowing we broke a lot of records for this program. We raised the bar big time this year to help East Bay be a winning program for the years to come.”