Live stream service now covers three sports

Erik Stenholm,

Pioneer sports fans will now be able to keep up with their favorite soccer, basketball, and volleyball players and teams when they can’t be in the stands on game day.

CSUEB Athletics and the Department of Communication are teaming up again this year to provide live streaming broadcasts of men’s and women’s soccer and basketball, as well as volleyball for their upcoming fall quarter seasons.

The service was first launched last fall with live streaming of just basketball.

Pioneerwebtv.com is now providing live video coverage and commentary online. Webcasts can be viewed on PC or Mac computers and mobile coverage on iPhone platforms only.

Sports Information Director for the Athletics Department Steve Connolly says that after good feedback and results from last year’s inaugural basketball broadcasts, the department wanted to commit to covering more sports this year.

Broadcast lecturer Kevin Pina is running the broadcasts and is in charge of the technical aspects of the production.

The first broadcasts of the season came last Sunday when the Pioneer men’s soccer team drew 1-1 and the women’s team won 3-1 against the Otters of CSU Monterey Bay. There were a few minor audio glitches during the first minutes of the men’s game. Use of three different camera angles brought viewers action from of all thirds of the field.

“Once we did the first stream and they saw what was possible, they were more than willing to pay our students to do camera and technical work for the stream,” said Pina. “I think the students’ being paid for their work is an excellent incentive because when students are paid to do this they can add it as an item for their resume.”

Connolly says that while the majority of schools in the CCAA conference broadcast basketball games live online, the quality of the school’s coverage of soccer matches, volleyball games and swim meets set CSUEB’s coverage apart.

They intend to broadcast every home game played.

An average of 200 people per basketball game watched the stream last year when it launched, and with soccer, volleyball, and basketball broadcasts coming up, Pina hopes that number can grow.

The next athletics broadcasts are next Friday when the Pioneer women’s and men’s soccer teams take on Cal State Dominguez Hills. The men’s game begins at 4:30 p.m. with the women’s game starting 30 minutes after the completion of the first game.

Pioneer WebTV is part of The Pioneer news service, which is supported by the Department of Communication. Erik Stenholm has previously assisted with the live streaming of campus sports games.