Campus Sports: News in Brief

Softball – The Pioneers claimed the series win over the CSU San Bernardino Toros last weekend taking three of four games, improving their conference record to 13-15 and their overall record to 26-19, sitting at sixth place in the conference.

On April 6, the Pioneers began the series with a doubleheader where they claimed the first game of the series by a final score of 5-3, however they dropped the second game 0-2. The following day welcomed another doubleheader, this time with CSUEB claiming both games, hitting six homeruns and scoring 16 total runs on the day winning the first game by a score of 7-1 and the second game, 9-5.

CSUEB was scheduled to face Notre Dame De Namur University on April 10 for a doubleheader, however the games were cancelled due to weather conditions and will be re-scheduled next week. CSUEB will play their final CCAA road games this weekend when they travel to Arcata to face off against Humboldt State for a four-game set.

Water Polo – The Pioneers won their matchup over the weekend against conference opponent Sonoma State on April 6, advancing their conference record to 7-4 and their overall record to 14-9.

Four second-half goals solidified the win for the Pioneers over Sonoma winning the matchup by a score of 7-5. Seniors Claire Pierce and Erica Crain led the scoring for CSUEB with two goals apiece in the game.

The Pioneers will host CSU San Bernardino this weekend on April 13 at the Pioneer Pool for Senior Day. They will then head to Santa Clara for the Bronco Invitational the following day where they will play four games beginning on April 14.

Track – The Pioneer men’s and women’s teams participated in the Chabot Relays in Hayward on April 7.

On the men’s side, freshman Burtland Dixon led the attack earning third place honors in the 400 meters with a season-best time of 52.06. Dixon also posted a season-best time of 23.16 in the 200 meters good for sixth place.

On the women’s side sophomore Tiffany Duffy led all Pioneer runners recording a season-best time of 2:30.04 to finish third in the 800 meters. In the 1500 meters, Duffy also posted a third place showing with a time of 5:06.16.

The Pioneers will travel to the Woody Wilson Invitational in Davis on April 21.