Cal State Online Initiative Should Be Supported

The 21st century has been tough on California – rolling blackouts, political gridlock, high unemployment and soaring costs of higher education.

If that isn’t enough, a recent study released by the Public Policy Institute of California (PPIC) paints an even darker picture for our future.

According to the PPIC, the fate of California’s economy is tied to a reliance on industries that require highly educated workers.

But California is failing to produce enough college graduates. The PPIC project a shortfall of one million college graduates by 2025.

While a surplus of one million jobs might sound like a good thing, PPIC points out our state has lost “more college graduates to other states than it has gained from those states.” That means that those one million jobs, unable to be filled by acceptable candidates, will likely have to leave California.

Increasing college retention and graduation rates in California’s largest university system – the California State University system – is among the top suggestions put forth in the PPIC report.  Fortunately, the CSU administration is already working on a broad new program that seeks to address future needs of California’s economy – the Cal State Online Initiative.

According to in-depth reports prepared by a third party for CSU, Cal State Online will increase access to the CSU system for thousands of students and will help to meet California’s education needs by expanding online programs, degrees, and classes.

The presentation, based on research about the education market and feedback from students, teachers and administrators, offers several visions for the future of the initiative.

However, the report does not provide a specific path for implementation.

The staff at The Pioneer believe the Cal State Online initiative is a step in the right direction towards meeting the needs of California. Still, concerns about the initiative remain.

At a CSU Easy Bay Academic Senate meeting earlier in the quarter, Chairman Mike Mahoney said the online initiative was raising concerns among teachers who feared loosing control of the curriculum.

“Right now, faculty is in control of the curriculum. The faculty creates the courses, creates the degrees, undergraduate and graduate,” said Mahoney. “Faculty are [sic] concerned about that more than ever.”

Another concern, highlighted by the third party report, is the use of technology to overload teachers with too many students.

The report anonymously cited one San Francisco State faculty member who told the PPIC, “If we go down this path, how can we be sure we won’t have 5,000 students taught by one professor?” That is a valid concern. Administrators developing the Cal State Online initiative must specify who is in charge of curriculum development. We hope that those chosen to lead that development will be those with the knowledge, expertise, and experience necessary to develop exciting and effective classes. Furthermore, it must be understood that the Cal State Online initiative cannot become a substitute for classroom education.

If done right, Cal State Online will help ensure a prosperous future for California, and further establish the CSU as a respected and emulated institution of higher education in the world. But everyone involved must work together to make sure it is done right.
Lets get to work.