Social Philosopher Inspires CSUEB Community

Cornel West invigorated the sold-out crowd
with his passionate words and advice for
social activism.

Renowned civil rights activist, author and philosopher Dr. Cornel West vividly and passionately spoke to the CSU East Bay community Thursday night, preaching for peace, equality and activism in society.

Off the heels of participating and advocating for the CSUEB California Faculty Association (CFA) strike Thursday and attending the Occupy Oakland movement earlier that day, West used his almost three-hour presentation to arouse social consciousness and uproot activists for social betterment.

The Harvard graduate, most commonly known for his combination of political, religious and moral insight, focused his presentation on what he explained as a powerful movement taking force and why people should all take part in it.

“I just hope, and pray I say something that unsettles you,” said West. “Something that unnerves you, even for a moment, un-houses you, because when you talk about education, what the Greeks called paideia, that deep education, not just schooling, not just ‘credentialization,’ but that deep education, where you muster the courage to think critically about yourself, and your nation and the world so you can leave this place just a little better than you found it.”

The bulk of West’s theology focuses on a Socratic method of criticism and questioning, with his church-like preaching rhetoric, entertaining charm, references to music and sharp, soulful words to get the crowd to react to “what it means to be human.”

“You have to choose what kind of human being [you] want to be,” he said. “People are obsessed with status and wealth and position, but not really what is the quality of their humanity, the quality of their integrity, the quality of their fidelity.”

The crowd seemed to hang on to his every word, as the powerful and stirring annotations in his speech seemed to truly unsettle, unnerve and un-house them on the current state of humanity in the world.

The bulk of West’s time at CSUEB was spent preaching to the sold out crowd Nov. 17 on the importance of the Occupy Movement for challenging social convention, American greed and reviving a democratic awakening.

The Occupy Movement, he said, exposes a “racist patriarchal nation” where “white supremacy” continues to define everyday life, and thus people of color should take a much more active role in the movement to refine and reform for their futures.

Continuously prolific, articulate, compassionate and passionate, West exemplified a person who feels enlightened by “truth,” and wants nothing more than to see the fire burning within everyone he meets.

West thoroughly supported Wednesday’s “Occupy CSUEB Tent City,” where a group of students, organized by Students for Quality Education (SQE), aimed to bring attention to the Occupy Movement and Thursday’s CFA strike, despite administration disapproval, resulting in University Police Department (UPD) interference.

Calling it a brave and noble act, West encouraged students to take a stand in their education.

“When you enter the classroom, you’re learning how to die, in order to learn how to live,” he said. “There is no maturity, no growth, no rebirth without death. And if you’re not willing to learn how to die, then you’re still on the surface.”

West referred to movies such as “The Social Network” and Facebook as “profound social decay,” commentating on police brutality towards ethnic groups, struggles towards “self-hate” in African-American communities, homophobia, religion, influence of creative musical powers, and most importantly “learning to love people and loving people who take a stand.”

It was undeniable West spoke from a place so many long to be in, a place emphatically capable of love and knowledge, which in the end CSUEB community members felt truly fortunate to be a part of.

The professor treated the room like his classroom, but the people like his family, referring to every person regardless of color and race as his brother and sister, and with each question asked of him seemed appreciative of thought and commentary.

“This is an exciting moment to be alive, time very much for paideia, time very much to muster the courage to think critically,” West said.

Possibly the most profound moment Thursday night came towards the end of the question and answer session, where an elementary school boy asked West how he can challenge himself in a public school system which is not up to speed with his capabilities.

“I can put out more than the teachers can take, or the students and the district can take in, so my question is how do you withstand the pressure of being held back when you feel like you have much more to offer?” he said.

To an uproar of applause, West left his podium and went to embrace the young boy, as his mother wept with happiness with the crowd overcome with emotion.

In conclusion, West’s presence on CSUEB campus, many say, will truly be a memorable one, as his words of love and enlightenment inspired, motivated, and instilled a passion in life for everyone in presence.

“I think it is very important that you remain highly disciplined, you have tremendous talent, and you keep your energy talent high, and move beyond the teachers,” said West to the elementary school child.

“He has a future that is beyond description, there’s no doubt about that, I can feel his spirit, that’s why I had to come over here and get close to him. With this kind of spirit, you can move mountains my child, mountains.”