Extended Library Hours a Possibility for Fall Quarter

Safety and transportation are some concerns among librarians.

CSU East Bay students might have extended library hours this fall quarter, as many students have said in recent years that an extension could greatly benefit their studies.

In an unscientific poll of CSUEB students, most of the students were in favor of extending library hours for the fall 2011 quarter.

Current regular session hours are Monday through Friday 8 am to 10 pm, Saturday 10 am to 5 pm and Sunday 12 pm to 8 pm, however, some students feel this is inadequate.

“I believe the students who commute to school don’t benefit from the current hours as much as students who live on campus,” said CSUEB student Patricia Johnson.

In the past, the library was available to students from 8 am to midnight.  However, the recent budget cuts forced the library to reduce their hours.

With CSUEB being primarily a commuter school, library staff is concerned with having adequate transportation and security available to students if the hours are extended.

According to Administrative Head of the library, Linda Dobb, the hours can be extended to further help the needs of students.

“Well, we do have the staff and student assistants available to keep the library open,” said Dobb. “We just have to make sure they have escorts and transportation available to them.”

“The library is a very crowded place during finals week,” she continued.  “If it would help to have us open a bit longer, say midnight from Sunday of finals week through Thursday of finals week, it’s definitely worth exploring.”

Extended hours during finals are needed.

Other university libraries—such as San Francisco State’s, which is open 24 hours—have benefited from foot traffic and satisfied students.

“I think it would be a great benefit to the students especially during midterms and finals week,” said CSUEB student Mary Ellen Diamante. “San Jose State has implemented these kinds of hours and it has worked perfectly fine for the students.”

For other students, the availability of another place to study and work away from home or otherwise noisier areas could definitely improve their studies and in the end, their academic performance at school.

“I’d like a quiet place to study after school and work,” said communications major Julian James.

With the Fall Quarter beginning September 21, library staff said they are open to exploring extended hours first as a trial run and henceforth open to the idea of extended hours later on.