Shooting death closes Hayward campus

Editor-in-Chief

The Cal State East Bay Hayward campus was briefly closed on Tuesday evening following an officer involved shooting near the City View Apartments on Carlos Bee Boulevard.

According to the Fremont Police Department, around 5:20 p.m. Tuesday detectives attempted to pull over a stolen vehicle that was associated with a string of robberies in Fremont and throughout the Bay Area.

Fremont detectives approached the vehicle near the apartment complex when the driver of the car rammed the police vehicle. Detectives fired at the vehicle and struck passenger, 16-year-old Elena Mondragon of Antioch, who died later Tuesday evening at a local unidentified trauma center, according to the victim’s family and the FPD.

The driver attempted to flee the scene but crashed at Campus and Oakes Drives when he fled the scene on foot. A second male and another female passenger were taken into custody without incident and a “shelter in place” warning was issued just before 6 p.m. for the CSUEB Hayward campus, according to a statement from the Hayward Police Department.

HPD arrested the other two suspects in connection with the incident and pursued the driver, however, at time of publication he was still on the loose.

CSUEB Police Chief Sheryl Boykins said the University Police Department responded to the officer involved shooting and also confirmed a “shelter in place” warning was advised for the University Village. Carlos Bee Boulevard and Second Street were closed by law enforcement officials and UPD advised vehicles to use Harder Road to leave campus.

The driver was described as an African-American male, 5-feet-10-inches tall, with short hair and a heavy build. The two detectives sustained non-life threatening injuries and were treated and released at a local hospital, according to FPD.