Hayward Unified School District holds Educational Summit

Shannon Stroud ,
Metro Editor

In February, Hayward Unified School District kicked off “Made in Hayward” a six month campaign that promotes educational excellence in all Hayward schools.  In support of the campaign, HUSD will host its second Educational Summit to encourage collaboration amongst students, teachers, educators and the Hayward community to improve student performance.

The Educational Summit is a free event open to the public, held at Hayward City Hall on Saturday morning from 9:30am to 2pm. The event will feature guest speakers on a variety of local educational topics such as: the importance of education in Hayward and goals for the Made in Hayward campaign.

“[The goal of this event is to] Provides students with resources around education and helps them understand the different opportunities that are available to them in Hayward,” said Sabrina Aranda, Communications Coordinator for Hayward Unified School District.

Throughout the event there will be multiple discussion panels. Each panel will feature conversation about different parts of a student’s educational career starting with their time in kindergarten to the work they will do in college.

“We have a very similar program as last year. However we have some new panelist and new partners joining us this year. We also included student performers,” said Aranda.

The event will feature a variety of  students such as Tedmon Tran who will give a speech; Shyh Lynn Saenz, who will give a speech; students from Ruus Elementary School, who will share a Shakespeare rendition; Mt. Eden High School’s band; and, HUSD Youth Enrichment Program’s Color guard will also preform.

“Becoming ‘Made in Hayward’ doesn’t happen without the support, encouragement and engaging parents, guardians, families and the community,” said HUSD Superintendent in a message to the Hayward community about the Educational Summit.  “As a Hayward resident be sure to stay involved, attend community activities and continue to support our ‘Made in Hayward’ students to become college ready.”

The event will conclude with refreshments and resource fair, where event attendees can talk to different organizations, schools, educators and students who are apart of the Made in Hayward campaign.