Pioneer Pete Makeover In Store

After 11 years, Pioneer Pete is getting a much needed makeover. The mascot will get a new , lighter costume and a freezer pack to keep athletes refreshed.

Out with the old, in with the new.

The CSUEB Pioneers are set to reveal a new and improved Pioneer Pete mascot. The unveiling will take place between the men’s and women’s basketball games on Jan. 15, when they host Cal State Los Angeles.

The design of the new mascot was made possible with input from CSUEB students, and student athletes.

The current mascot has endured 11 years of riling up the crowd at home-games and the CSUEB athletic department and athletes agreed it was time for a change.

Pioneer Pete’s new makeover consist of a new costume, an under armor freezer pack and a water pack, keeping the mascot inside cool and hydrated.

Mascot Luc Luzzo views this makeover as an opportunity to improve his performance as the school mascot.

“The new costume is really nice,” said Luzzo. “I felt really limited to what I could do with the old one because it was heavy and falling apart. With the improved one, the mascot will be lighter, allowing for more dances and performances.”

The Pioneers Marketing department is making the effort to improve the game day experience for all CSUEB students and fans that attend the events. There are many special events and promotions planned for this season that will follow Pioneer Pete’s reveal.

On Jan. 20 the Pioneers men’s basketball team will take on the Division II NCAA Champions, Cal Poly Pomona. It is in this game where the “Jam the Gym” promotions will take place, as the Pioneers will seek to set a new CCAA attendance record of 1,000 fans. Attendees will also have the opportunity to meet and greet with Bay Area mascots Lou Seal from the San Francisco Giants, Sourdough Sam from the 49ers and Stomper of the Oakland A’s.

Homecoming week is scheduled for Jan. 31-Feb. 5 with the finale taking place at the Homecoming game when the Pioneers host San Francisco State in the Battle of the Bay.

Pioneer Athletics competes in the California Collegiate Athletics Association, arguably the best Division II basketball conference in the country. Currently it is in their third and final year of candidacy for NCAA Division II athletics.

Attendance at Pioneer sporting events is on the rise and with the addition of a new and improved Pioneer Pete, the CSUEB athletic department expects and even greater game day turnout.

“We are consistently trying to provide our students and fans with fun and exciting sporting events on campus,” said Dawn Ellerbe, Assistant Athletics Director. “At any college, the mascot is a huge part of the game day excitement. We are looking forward to all of our fans meeting the new Pioneer Pete.”