Hayward Pays Homage to Exceptional Community Members

Several East Bay citizens dine together at the 69th annual Gala awards.

The city of Hayward showed admiration and reverence to four superlative citizens who serve the community during Hayward’s 69th Gala Awards at CSU East Bay.

“This is a community that likes to celebrate its heroes,” said Kim Huggett, president of the Hayward Chamber of Commerce, which sponsored the event. “I think that’s one of the attractions, is that we like to honor those who have a spirit for community service.”

The CSUEB New University Union building was the destination for the city’s eminent community members as they paid respect to an educator, police officer, firefighter and businessperson for their recent work within Hayward.

The night began with a silent auction among cocktails and delicious hors d’oeuvres, followed by an elegant dinner and speeches by the admired honorees.

The award recipients represented inspiring stories, which garnered them nominations by their peers, according to Huggett.

Ariel Dolowich, principal of Ochoa Middle School and educator award recipient said he is “humbled” by the city’s recognition. Recognized for his approach to education, Dolowich said he incorporates innovative methods that engage his students, their families and teachers in academics.

He joined Ochoa Middle School in 2010 and has helped raise their academic performance index 86 points, making it the highest-scoring middle school in the Hayward Unified School District. For two consecutive years his students raised their performance index by 40 percent or more.

“I think education means an opportunity to make a difference in real people’s lives on a daily basis,” said Dolowich. “And the reality is, it’s not easy work, but it’s very gratifying to be a part of student’s lives and families’ lives, where everyone is trying to achieve stability and really do what’s right. So it’s really an honor.”

Other guests of honor included Pam Russo, awarded Business Person of the Year; Battalion Chief George Silva, Firefighter of the Year; and Detective Ryan Cantrell, Police Officer of the Year.

Gregarious, industrious and enthusiastic, Russo has spent over 30 years at St. Rose Hospital and has received national awards for her hospital marketing strategies.

“The hospitals that I’ve worked at for 35 years is very much near to me and it’s something I’m passionate about,” said Russo in regards to her feelings receiving the award. “In that respect, I am just honored.”

In 2009 Mary Hayashi, then California assemblywoman from the 18th district, nominated Russo for Woman of the Year.

Furthermore she played a minor role in the beginning stages of St. Rose’s Face for the Future, a youth mentoring program for high school students interested in the medical field. Russo is connected to over a dozen community organizations for which she volunteers.

The night carried on with laughter and high spirits as each speech was just as ebullient, gratifying and entertaining as the last.

“There hasn’t been a day I haven’t wanted to work,” Silva modestly admitted. “I love this community.”

Firefighter of the Year, Silva has served Hayward for 26 years as a firefighter. His experience and reputation as a veteran prompted his position as a training officer in 2011.

Since then his tactics and dedication make him a prime example for training firefighters to follow. Assessing dangerous situations and teaching emergency responses, the Hayward firefighter is a man of few words but his guidance to others provides a healthy antidote for those he has instructed.

“I was shocked,” said Silva about receiving the call for the award. “I’m proud that my peers voted this for me.  So I’m truly honored for it.”

The firefighter’s counterpart, Cantrell from Hayward Police Department said his “roots are here at Cal State Hayward.”

“I started my law enforcement career here,” Cantrell said earnestly. “And so it’s a big deal for me and my family.”

The long-winded, yet entertaining detective follows close behind last year’s Police of the Year recipient, fighting human trafficking within Hayward. Cantrell released a book, Modern Slavery: Investigating Human Trafficking (The Detective’s Guide), earlier this year entailing ways to catch those who enslave others. His team has made nearly 150 arrests and successfully rescued eight sexually exploited children; two were found within the time of receiving his award.

Together, the four presented a pattern of importance to the community. They all are educators in their field, sharing their experience and knowledge for what they do best, which has not gone unnoticed.

As the “fourth longest running event held in Hayward” the event embodies historic significance and emphasizes the importance of celebrating the people that serve the community, Huggett explained.

Richard Valle, Alameda County supervisor for the 2nd District, referred to the honorees as “hometown heroes” and noted these are people we want serving our communities.

“These are the people who make a difference in our schools, fire departments, or local hospitals, [and] businesses,” he said. “These are the people who are working everyday making a difference in people’s lives, especially our children.”