CSUEB Record Holding Swimmer Tries to Balance School with Her Passion

Racheal Knowles aspires to own her own physical
therapy practice.

Long before the sun comes up, hours into practice, Rachel Knowles is in the pool hard at work, pulling one stroke after another. She understands the kind of effort it takes to be a record-holding swimmer at CSU East Bay.

Born in San Diego, raised in Corona, Calif., Knowles played several sports growing up such as softball and soccer.

At the age of 10 she started swimming, which she would later become fond of and watched as it became a huge and permanent part of her life.

Like many young swimmers, Knowles started out swimming club.

She would first practice four times a week, before practice time grew to eventually adding Saturdays, then to every day and even twice a day in some instances.

“I was gifted and started swimming,” Knowles succinctly put it.

Knowles went to a small private Christian school from kindergarten to eight grade before she then transitioned to Santiago High School with a freshman class of more than 1000 students.

Although this transition might have been a huge change for most people, Knowles always had other swimmers to fall back on for support as well having a group to identify with.

She swam breaststroke, her current stroke, as well as freestyle. She swam the 100 meter breaststroke, 200 individual medley, 200 medley relay and the 400 freestyle relay. Knowles achieved a lot in the pool while in high school such as being a member of the varsity team all four years, a big deal for any athlete, and won a league title every year she attended Santiago.

“[I] walked on the pool deck and owned [my] event,” she explained.

When it came time to picking a college, Knowles was initially averse to the thought of going to a California State University school.

At first she thought about staying close to home but received a post card in the mail from CSUEB. She came for a visit, fell in love with CSUEB’s beautiful campus and wanted to experience the “college life,” so she chose to move away from home and decided CSUEB was the place for her.

When Knowles arrived on campus the swimming team was going through a drastic change.

CSU East Bay swimmer Rachel Knowles makes
improvements to her record breaking breast stroke
at a recent practice.

With the help of swimmers like Knowles and new incoming coach Ben Loorz, formerly an assistant at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, a change in culture occurred within the program.

She was very excited about learning from someone with his immense knowledge of the sport, considering Loorz’ extensive background.

Knowles, along with every other swimmer, would meet with Loorz before each year and map out goals that they hope to accomplish over the upcoming season.

When it came time for Knowles, she and her coach noticed that the records for the 100 meter and 200 meter breaststroke were very much in reach, but it would take a tremendous amount of work.

She had to drop over a second and a half in her 100 meter event, and over four seconds in her 200 meter event, which is an astounding feat for any swimmer. This shocked even Knowles.

“At this point in my career I didn’t think I was capable of those big drops anymore,” she said. “So the fact that I did that, I was ecstatic.”

According to Knowles these records mean the world to her.

When it comes to achievements, of which Knowles has many, it was something she received freshman year that she takes the most pride in.

Every year the swim team votes for several awards to be handed out.

Her freshman year she was voted ‘Most Inspirational,’ which was very important to Knowles because this is the kind of teammate she has strived to become.

Along with the award she also has taken a lot of pride in being recognized as an All-American Academic Honorable Mention last season.

She is not without her setbacks. Being a swimmer who does the breaststroke. The body is not meant to be turned in that way and especially not countless times a day, thus, causing strain on the knees and hips.

While she has always struggled with inconsequential knee issues throughout high school, it was something that happened after her freshman season that still bothers her to this day.

When doing her dry land exercises, Knowles said she felt and heard an audible pop in her hip and instantly felt pain. She had strained her psoas muscle. Its primary function lifts the leg. So it was extremely difficult for Knowles. Even the simple action of getting dressed became a struggle. She was unable to swim for two weeks. Eventually she had to go to physical therapy for relief, something she feels is very ironic given her career aspirations. Even though it’s something that only occasionally flares up, she has to be diligent about not reinjuring herself and having another setback.

Even when she does have something not go her way, she has a great support system to help and motivate her through her problems. Her parents used to take her to swim practice at four in the morning. Her boyfriend has supported and motivated her. She also has a couple best friends who also have been there for her for over a decade. She says she always draws strength from her religion.

Having grown up in a Christian family, she says it’s a foundation for her. When it comes to swimmers she looks up to, she likes swimmer Rebecca Soni. Soni, being a breaststroker like Knowles, is an Olympian that she feels she can relate to.

When Knowles is not in the pool she enjoys cooking with her roommate and watching the Food Network, especially the competition shows. She also likes to sleep when she can find the time in between being a record holding swimmer with two on campus jobs. She seems to constantly be in motion.

“Life would be so different if I hadn’t come here,” Knowles explained, as she credits the diversity of the institution for shaping her as a person.

Knowles is currently a Kinesiology major who is aspiring to become a physical therapist.

After she graduates from CSUEB she wants to attend graduate school. While she is unsure what school in particular, she does know that she would like to work in an outpatient setting, working with athletes and eventually opening up her own physical therapy clinic.

Knowles, now 20, and entering her junior year, does not envision a  future where she is not swimming, even if it is only to remain in shape, due to her immense passion for the sport.

Loorz believes that Knowles will be able to attain any goals she sets her mind to.

“She is definitely the kind of person who is out here on mornings when doesn’t have to be out here. She’ll show up when we don’t have practice to work on her technique. I can always count on her to give 110 percent, every single practice, every single day; it’s why she’s as good as she is.”