Skateboarders on Campus Should Have Choice To Ride

I grew up in Southern California in the early 1970s when surfing was life. My father thought I was risking my life in an unnecessary and unsavory activity. But when I rode those waves I felt free, and as cheesy as it sounds, I felt one with nature. Maybe my father’s dislike and my natural rebellion incited this passion through my legs. That was when I was 12. A few years later, a new revolution began: skateboarding. Skateboarding evolved from the surfing style and attitude, and I grabbed on to it for dear life. Skateboarding was, and oddly enough, still is how I live my life: one push, one kick at a time, and a sweet, sweet coast to my destination, altering my speed and body as I pleased.

I read Lamonte Dewindt’s article in last week’s edition, “UPD Needs to be Decisive in Campus Enforcement Policies,” which started with a tragic incident of a skateboarder who fell down after riding down one of CSU East Bay’s hills. I know first hand the dangers of riding skateboards; I’m not going to try and fool you, skateboarding does place the rider at a very vulnerable disadvantage when it comes to safety. Riders are exposed, and the average skateboarder craves the danger that comes up with riding. However, what I found very interesting was that Lamonte exposed the policy at CSUEB that skateboarders are not allowed on campus.

My issue is twofold: restricting this activity on campus is a limit on freedom of choice for riders, and the University Police Department (UPD) at CSUEB don’t even enforce this rule. It just doesn’t make much sense to me. If safety was a concern and the reason why this rule is in place, why is it not being enforced? Maybe UPD doesn’t understand how rules work, if you have one you have to enforce it, otherwise people will not respond to it.

I don’t agree with this rule, as students should be free to ride a skateboard, bike or roller blades wherever they please, as is their free will. They’re adults, and should be responsible for the consequences of their actions. And of course, as a rider remembering the freedom I felt when riding, it saddens me that students feel restricted in this manner. But, Lamonte is absolutely correct that if there is a rule UPD should enforce it.

It’s like any other rule or law, hardly anyone will enforce it unless they are afraid of getting caught and dealing with the consequences thereafter. It’s like speeding, if drivers weren’t afraid of getting an exorbitant ticket for it, they would go over 65 almost all the time.

CSUEB UPD: Change the rule, or enforce it, period. Why this has never been clear is upsetting, but hopefully now with Lamonte’s voice the CSUEB community and UPD can come to an agreement that respects everyone included.

As a former Cal State Hayward alumnus, I am glad The Pioneer brought up this issue, and I congratulate Lamonte on raising this issue. It has encited a former almnus, current rider and constant advocate for freedom in all forms to sit down and type this opinion piece. Otherwise, I would just be riding.