Pioneer Men’s Soccer Still Young

After enduring a 2-16 season last fall, the Pioneer Men’s soccer team lost little in the way of players and staff, however, they have yet another year of maturity under their belts.

Only one player has left the team, graduating senior and dual citizen Robin Patton.  Patton, the German-American international student was a center back and responsible for stopping opposing strikers from entering and scoring from the middle of the field as well as bring the ball out from the penalty area.

“He was a great player. He had experience and maturity bringing the international style to our club,” said head coach Andy Cumbo.

According to Cumbo the club is relatively young, as their youth and inexperience was reflected in last season’s record.

The club plays a more technical style and Cumbo says there’s a profound difference between ages 18 and 22.

The older players have had more time to develop, while learning their opponents and coach’s schemes on the field.

With the focus in the off-season on improving recruiting and scouting, Cumbo said he wanted to blend  transfers, internationals and local high school players onto one roster.

The staff has traveled to watch junior college games, non-profit organizational club games and a few high school games.

This led to the recruitment of nine new players including two international student-athletes in Felix Jaekel from Shorter University in Georgia,  and German native Timo Bauer.

Making his freshman debut in a Pioneer uniform will be the San Ramon product, California High Griz zlies midfielder Duke Driggs. A tall athletic player, Driggs is also a good tackler and distributor , according to Grizzlies Head Soccer Coach Chris Faidley. He led his high school team as a captain this winter to a 17-3 record and a second place finish in the East Bay Athletic League (EBAL). Driggs was a main component of the previous season, which saw the Grizzlies finish 18-0 and win the EBAL outright for the first time ever.

Driggs accolades include First Team All-League for the second year in a row and multiple votes for EBAL Player of the Year. He also received the California Men’s Soccer Team Most Valuable Player award this year as well as the Cal High Winter Athlete of the Year. Beyond his success on the field, his head coach had great things to say about Driggs.

“Duke demonstrated tremendous leadership as well. He has a tireless work rate, for example, he stays late after practice and is always one of the top to finish in fitness tests,” says Faidley.

Not only did Driggs play for his high school team, but he was also a member of the Cumbo-led non-profit team Ballistics United in Pleasanton. Cumbo hopes Driggs can bring immediate impact to the team.

Losing very little in the off-season in terms of experience, the Pioneer soccer team has been staying shape and training. According to NCAA rules, no team can hold mandatory training and conditioning in the summer months, however  individual workouts have occurred.

Once fall arrives, the players will be back in the weight room, running drills during organized practice.

Cumbo has his eye on a couple of Bay Area teams that he would like to beat. One in particular is Sonoma State. He says their club plays a similar style on the field, but the players have a national championship to reflect on their experience. If the Pioneers can beat Sonoma State next season, Cumbo said that will tell him all he needs to know about the preparation, conditioning and maturity his team has worked so hard for.