AMZ_CSUEB

Amador Valley High School Softball Riding Undefeated Season

Reigning NCS champions amplified and energized over
their success.

In the midst of an undefeated season, the Amador Valley High School softball team finds themselves second among teams across the state as well as nationally ranked.

The returning league champions, who won the North Coast Section (NCS) Championships last year, are looking to repeat that same accomplishment this season.

On Tuesday, Amador Valley faced off against their crosstown rival, Foothill High School, keeping their undefeated season alive by shutting them out 7-0 and advancing to 17-0 on the season.

“We worked really hard in preseason,” said Julie Marshall, head coach of Amador’s softball team. “We knew we had targets on our back [for] winning North Coast Section (NCS) last year. The girls came out, the chemistry’s unreal, something that you can’t teach. They like to hangout outside of the field, which is nice because it shows on the field.”

Marshall was head coach last year for the AVHS Dons when they went 20-5 to win the division and is in the midst of her fourth season as head coach. Marshall was also an All-American for softball at UCLA.

When asked if expectations were high for this season’s team, the coach spoke with great confidence.

“We’re kind of a small squad but they put the work in and the game has been paying them back,” said Marshall. “They know that they can’t let up in any game because at any given moment someone can take that away from them, so they’re hungry and they’re on a mission, and we’re looking to do great things.”

Twelve-year AVHS athletic director Lou Cesario spoke high praise of his softball team and the heights they are reaching as a program.

“Our school and community is proud of our softball program,” said Cesario.

“Julie [Marshall] has done a great job not only with the program, but as a role model for the girls. She created the program where the team can excel. The team is very young with a good portion of the girls being sophomores so I look for continued success in the future.”

Starting pitcher Johanna Grauer ready to throw a fast
one.

Of those sophomores is AVHS leading pitcher Johanna Grauer, who is nationally ranked for her pitching. Grauer has pitched multiple shutouts this season, including a few one-hit games and a no-hitter earlier in the year against James Logan High School.

Grauer earned the Most Valuable Player Award and first place honors while competing in the 2012 Livermore Stampede Tournament and the 2012 Queen of The Mountain Tournament.

Not only is Grauer and the rest of the AVHS softball team making their mark in their division, but they are also contributing to their community in various ways and that was evident in their game played last week against Livermore High School on April 19, where they would go on to win 7-0.

Continuing their undefeated streak was not the only thing that the Dons were playing for.

Kathy Barber, Marshall’s aunt, set up a couple of booths next to the field during the game and sold off various goods ranging from wallets and necklaces to hats and vests. Most of the items had a pink ribbon incorporated into them to support breast cancer awareness.

“We have to raise $1,800 to do the Avon Breast Cancer walk in July,” said Barber, “so in order to raise the money, we make things to sell so that we can earn our money. We ask for donations and if anybody can do donations that’s great.”

Barber also stated she was a breast cancer survivor and that this was the ninth consecutive year that she has raised money for this walk and other breast cancer awareness charities.

“All proceeds go to the Avon Two-Day Breast Cancer walk, so it’s all for charity,” added Steve Barber, Kathy’s husband. “Everything here is sold for charity, it’s made for charity and typically donated so that the money can go to the Avon Breast Cancer Walk, and that helps fund research and treatment for anybody who needs it.”

The AVHS softball team began their season on March 1. And the season will continue through May 17 with seven more games to play in the regular season.

The Dons are well on their way to making it to the division playoffs, which will begin on May 22 with the championship games set to be played in early June.