Tim Robbins visits Hayward school

Shannon Stroud,
Metro Editor

Academy Award winner Tim Robbins spent last Friday in Hayward at Burbank Elementary School.

Robbins, known for his roles in “The Shawshank Redemption” and “Mystic River” paid a visit as part of Turnaround Arts, a program that uses art education to help turn around struggling art programs in schools across America. He is considered a Turnaround Artist and visits other at risk schools across America.

Turnaround Artists are acclaimed, creative professionals who are interested in promoting art education in public schools. While at Burbank elementary, Robbins joined the students in reading, singing, and computer games. He also answered their questions regarding his work.

“I am here today because of the importance of arts in education. When I was in school, I went from being a good student in grade school to a struggling student in high school. The arts became a lifeline for me,” Robbins said last Friday, according to the Mercury News.

Burbank Elementary School is one of the ten schools in California and the only one in the Bay Area that is part of the Turnaround Arts program.

Turnaround Arts selects schools to participate in the program based on strong school leadership, district support, and a demonstrated commitment to art education. The program also selects a school that has a diverse student demographic and has a rural and urban setting.

Turnaround Arts is one of four statewide organizations under CREATE CA, and is funded by grants, donations, and partnerships with larger corporations according to the Turnaround Arts website.