Thanks to community service volunteers

Dear Pioneer,

I would like to take a moment to thank the students, faculty, and staff of CSUEB and Chabot that volunteered and provided tremendous support to our Hayward Promise Neighborhood Healthy Promise Run, Walk, Stroll, Roll & Community Resource Expo on Saturday, April 5th.

As we heard, President Morishita mentioned in his biweekly address that service is often an overlooked key feature that CSUEB brings to the community. CSUEB made a strong showing of service at the Run/Walk event held in Hayward as CSUEB turned out 118 volunteers, in addition to 6 student volunteers from Chabot College, to support the HPN event. They assisted with volunteer and runner registration, food service, overall event setup and cleanup, passport registration, refreshment table, and more.

Often times there can be a stigma attached to youth and young adults as being lazy or afraid of hard work. But this stereotype was dispelled through the CSUEB and Chabot student volunteers – 38 of which were participating in Freshman Day of Service for CSUEB.

Emily Chow, Service Learning Coordinator at CSUEB, managed volunteer coordination for this event. She remarked on how beneficial the volunteers were to the overall success of the event, “Without the 118 CSUEB volunteers that showed up to help with set up, food, parade, registration, and clean up, we would not have had a successful event.

They had a positive attitude; willingness to help where needed, and had fun doing it also. It also allowed them to see a glimpse of the HPN work and to engage with the community. Service is not just about helping others; it’s also about helping yourself to be a compassionate and caring individual.”

Thank you CSUEB and Chabot volunteers for your tremendous support in making the Hayward Promise Neighborhood event a success.

Sincerely,
Lauren Pitcher
Hayward Promise Neighborhood